Monday, November 06, 2023

The Pouring Rain

 It's been a wet wet month already here.  

Last night and this morning, the pouring rain is relentless.

Yesterday, the power suddenly went out, after a big bang.  Not like we're not used to that on this block.

The outage hotline said it could be 8:00 p.m. before it was restored.   Suddenly, seemed like the entire power company fleet converged on the block.   I went out and talked to the friendly utility locater man.   He said there was a short in an underground line and they had to find it, then dig a hole to get to it, repair it and fill in the hole.  He was hoping the short wasn't in line going under the street, or a sidewalk or driveway.  

It didn't take them too long to find the bad spot and it was under lawn, so that was good.  They dug a big hole, repaired the bad line, and filled in the hole.


After I returned the cat fixed Friday, on Saturday morning, I headed to Waterloo park by the backroads since I wasn't that far away.  Fall leaf photos that are any good are kind of late to get now, since most trees' leaves have fallen or the leaves have lost their vibrant colors.   

I expected the river would be high, with all the rain we've had but it wasn't.   It was terribly muddy however.   Likely still from what's going on up river, with the reservoirs draining.






The Big Muddy is what I call the river now.   

When the power went out Sunday my neighbor asked if I could find a trailer park south of highway 34 somewhere near Corvallis.  She'd driven through it when her friend visited a few weeks ago.  There were two then for sale.  She wants to live there but could not remember its name or where it was. She described it as forested.   Hmmmm, I thought.

She drove, I directed.   First I took her to the one out on Oakville Road, just past Harvest not thinking she'd think that one was pretty and it wasn't the one.  Then we back traced to where they'd been before they found the trailer park and I recalled one in the back of my mind then from years and years ago, when I trapped for a son of the Richey's Market owner, and he gave me some delicious cantelope.   The trailer park was just beyond that place.  It is forested and beautiful, with one trailer now up for sale.

Their rent is high, at the house next door where she lives with a roommate, and she knows the rent could go up even more at any time.  Even with the mortgage and site rent, it would have been cheaper monthly, if she bought the trailer up for sale, but alas, it already is on contract with a buyer.

She then took me out to eat at a Mexican restaurant and bought me a Margarita.  I had not had one in years and oh my, that was enjoyable.    We had a lovely time.

I let the Waterloo kittens out of the bathroom.   By two days ago, I was petting Cougie, while they were confined to the bathroom.   They are little play addicts, I'll tell you, and so much fun. Doogie, the boy, bounces around then comes running to me for pets.  Cougie doesn't do that yet but probably will soon. She's the one wants to play the most.

Cougie loves the cat runs

Try not to listen to the sound going on in the background of this video.  It's the news and the news lately is full of terrible things.

I can't watch much else but one or two channels because I lost my roku remote.   It's not in the mechanics of my recliner chair, so its probably on the floor somewhere, used as a cat toy.  I'll find it.  Eventually.



Today I take traps to a state heritage site that wants the cats there fixed.  Wednesday is the FCCO trip with Harrisburg cats.  Other than that, the week is mine.


12 comments:

  1. Your photos of the Big Muddy are beautiful. Really beautiful.
    Hooray for playing kittens - and I hear you on losing things that they have claimed as toys. They do eventually turn up, but sometimes not in the most desirable state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, today I'm going to try to find another. They're cheap because if and when it does turn up, it may not be in working shape. If it is though, then I have a spare. Today's weather was wild, with wild skies and pouring rain and wind. Warnings even of possible funnel clouds.

      Delete
    2. Muddy or not the river is beautiful! I will always love it!

      Delete
  2. You take lovely photos. There's a wonderful book called "The Cat House," which is about projects to make one's home more enjoyable to cats. I've often thought about buying you a copy, but I can't remember if I ever did. If not, would you like one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have it, Snow. Will check when I get back home.

      Delete
  3. Those are great images! I'm glad you've encountered some kind and friendly people. ~hugs~ I hope you find your remote control. It's always a big deal when one of our several goes missing here. My husband's OCD gets worse every year even if the missing item has little use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hasn't turned up yet, so I went and got a new one. They're pretty cheap unless you go to Walmart. They wanted $30. I got bug eyed, when the guy pointed virtually the only one they had, for what I needed. He said "yeah, but it comes with voice control and headphones" and I said I don't need any of those features. Eventually I found a much cheaper one elsewhere.

      Delete
  4. Bummer on the remote. I got a new Roku remote that was rechargeable, and I really like it. I don't have to buy batteries for it. It's probably easier to buy a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photos of Big Muddy are very picturesque. Rivers around here get muddy with lots of rain. Maybe the rain contributed to the mud?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah its a combo likely cause of the muddy river. It's a different sort of brown flavor or color this year. I always wish I had a stronger color vocabulary to describe various shades better.

      Delete

End of Warmth

 We had some nice days.   But the heat is gone. We'll be in the 60's again for awhile, with perhaps some drizzle. I love the heat.  ...