Saturday, May 06, 2023

Kittens and My Mom's Prius

 Kittens, kittens, it's raining kittens.  The first call I got was Wednesday, from the colony caretaker in Sweet Home, where I'd just returned two females fixed Monday.   One female had kittens in a pipe shelter, three of them, the day I returned the other two.  But now, one had died, one she'd run off into the brush with, and one had been left alive but abandoned.   

By the time I got up there, I knew it was too late for that one.  She was in "last gasps", taking wide open mouth breaths, with long lapses between breaths, and was very cold.  Nonetheless I headed for Brownsville and a vet student's house there.  She'd said she take the kitten on but the kitten died shortly after I arrived. 



 Today, they had another set, from a different female.  They heard the kittens crying and found them cold under a pallet on the asphalt last night.  They warmed them up and got them in a box and put them back, where mom could find them, but by this morning, still no mom near and they were cold.  Hence the second message.  This time the vet student went up herself and got them.  Five in all.



These are all first time mothers at the colony currently having kittens.  And the weather is lousy!  These five may stand a chance, however.  They are in good hands now.  Teen moms often abandon first litters.  

I was not interested in the soap operic royal family coronation going on today nor the extravagant horse killing Kentucky Derby event either.  We have other political dramas also ongoing that are enough to give a person severe indigestion.  

For one--Oregon's rather brand new secretary of state resigned after a newspaper exposed her moonlighting job with a pot selling conglomerate intent on easing restrictions nationwide on pot production.  She was getting like 30k a month I think, on the side.  For what?  I don't think she was street selling pot, at least.  More like peddling influence.  When discovered she said she couldn't make ends meet on the rather low side Oregon Sec of State salary ($77k).   She's resigned both gigs now.  

This was Clarence Thomas complaint too, when confronted with all the perks and pleasantries he and his wife have experienced through rich conservative friends, anxious it seems, to gain favor with someone in a powerful position.  When you got all that money what are you going to do with it, for gosh sakes, but try to gain influence to create the country you want by controlling, who else, the lives of the fricking unwashed.  You know, us little folk.   Like a table game.  We little folks just don't behave in a manner fitting to the values of the high and mighty elite.  Those elitish values are pretty sick and twisted I must say.

He claimed being on the Supreme Court of the United States just isn't worth it for the money they pay.  Well, at least not without the perks the powerful seem to attract like flies to the rotting wounds of our injured democracy.   You know what, we seniors seems to make it on about $1000 a month SS, which you aholes are always wanting to cut into, in your little perky useless bought and paid for shit bills you pay to get through congress.  Time to shut up I guess.  Going off again I am.

Mickey got a home really fast up at CAT, in Sherwood.  I took him up last Friday, to a Portland group, who kept him a few days before transferring him to CAT.  He was the latest boy a friend found at the park.  She fed him awhile, then couldn't take it and took home, but since she'd already taken in two other dumped boys she determined she couldn't keep him.  Anyhow, he's off to his new life.

My brother sent me this music video that cracked me up.   My Mom's Prius.  Gosh its funny.   Great that people still have a sense of humor.  Portland gets a bit of a ride in this one.




8 comments:

  1. It ticks me off, when people aren't responsible pet owners. Clarence Thomas is a pud.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that there is a happy ending for Mickey and potentially the second litter of kittens. I didn't watch the coronation and despair at the ever greedy politicians (and judges). How would they manage on the income of the people they so often shaft? Hiss and spit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the home he got was excellent. Darn politicians anyhow.

      Delete
  3. I hope the rest of the kittens survive and find a good home. In the library yesterday was a 7 year-old girl who wanted books about kittens because she was going to get one. She left with five good books about kittens and how to care for them. I think her kitten is going to have a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's sad how broken things seem right now. I wonder if it'll ever get put right. Glad there's some good news on the cat front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if it will or not, get better or worse, just keep on going, I guess, til I drop, is my only strategy.

      Delete

End of Warmth

 We had some nice days.   But the heat is gone. We'll be in the 60's again for awhile, with perhaps some drizzle. I love the heat.  ...