Monday, September 19, 2022

Wild Day

 Yesterday was on the wild side.

Sure, I got a lot done.

I'd trapped two cats, Foghat and Juju, the night before, at the gas station colony.   I knew I would go trap at least two more in Lebanon late afternoon.  I cleaned out the car some, from trapping the night before and loaded more traps, to be ready.

I weeded the cat yard too.

I knew I'd pick up Niko, the bird lady's latest yard stray, that evening around 6.

Just before heading to Lebanon, to trap, I decided my car needed washed.  It was filthy with dust and tuna I'd tossed out the window the night before, when trying to reassure one of the cats I wanted to trap.  But I'd missed a few times and the tuna instead splatted on the inside of my car windows, or dribbled down the outside and onto the doors.   Yuck.

I pulled out the hose, which rolls up by the back door.   I wasn't even thinking.  When it got caught on something, I gave it a yank, instead of looking to see what it was caught on.  It was caught on a can of black paint.  Sure, the lid was on the paint can but not enough to keep it from spilling all over the side of the driveway when I yanked on the hose.  The yank knocked over the can of paint, spilling about half.

I jumped forward, to hose it quickly into the dirt, at least.  But this splattered black paint up the side of the house.  I hosed that off.   Then I spotted my stack of wood pellet fuel, that I use for litter.  I opened a bag and poured it all over the spill area.  That did the trick, although today I will need to shovel it into the trash can.




Then I washed the car.

After that, it was off to Lebanon.   I arrived around 5:00 and was home by 6:00, because, after I set up the drop trap, it was only moments before it got swarmed.  Two different unfixed black tuxes were up wanting to eat, along with the pregnant again Saimese mom and her three kittens.  I had to wait a bit, for the Siamese to go under the drop trap, because she had to get fixed.   The neighborhood is alive in unfixed cats and it needs to stop and she needs a break from constant reproduction.   By the time she went under only two of her three kittens were under it with her, but I pulled the cord and dropped it over the three.   Some other time for the third teenager.



Tawny, the mom, is up being fixed today.

Tawny

Kitten One

Kitten Two

I had five spay neuter reservations.   I took Tawny, the pregnant Siamese.  I took Niko, the bird ladies yard boy, who has been fighting with her cats.  I took Foghat and Juju from the gas station and the fifth cat I took was one from the nearby colony, allegedly a girl, Fifi.

Niko

I went and got Niko at the Bird Lady's place after I got home from Lebanon.    Then I went over to the gas station and the man did show up who feeds three colonies, although, I should admit, there are other feeders too.  In fact at the gas station colony even the truckers help them out and often homeless folk too.     So he showed me where to park, but he had to walk to trap.  The area is an industrial maze and includes several car junk yards.  I set and baited traps, he took off walking with them, then would bring them back with cats in them.  Four cats he caught.   He thinks there are maybe 8 or 10 more.  Ok, four is good as a beginning.  He caught two adults and two kittens.   

Fifi is one of the two adults and being fixed today.

Fifi

My leftovers will be fixed Thursday.  I'll set them up in cages in a minute.

Here's my cat food stealing scrub jay, one of them that is.  They nest in the fir tree in the neighbors backyard.  That tree is their home.



 It's  a fine autumn day today.   The low sun angle produces long arching shadows and an orangish tinge to colors.  The morning air was moist and chilled.


10 comments:

  1. Well done. A busy, and mostly productive day. Sigh on the paint front though. Big sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah a paint pain, that's for sure.

      Delete
  2. What a mess with the black paint. Not fun, I'm sure. And it sounds like you've got your spots filled. I'm sure that's a load off your mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd been painting some boards to try to finish a cat yard project. The can was still out there, to use to put a second coat on the boards. Spots filled for today and Thursday, so really I'm done trapping til October. I like that!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous2:23 AM

    I think as long as I have been reading your blog, Lebanon is an area you just keep revisiting to trap and fix. The scrub jay has pretty blue colouring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lebanon used to have a nickname, the armpit of Linn County. They've gotten a little better I think last few years but it still sure is full of drugs and people who don't fix their cats.

      Delete
  4. You had a very busy, but productive day. We don't have scrub jays here in the east, but we do have their cousins, blue jays. I commented a few days ago that I hadn't see a blue jay around the area for months. And then promptly the next day, a flock of them showed up. Boy, are they noisy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems we share annoying mishaps. lol Best wishes, my dear!

    ReplyDelete

Sun Coming

 Sun is supposed to come to us finally here in Oregon.   It's been pouring last few days, today included. At first, the weather stations...