Wednesday, July 06, 2022

Blah Blah Weather Plus Kittens

 Blah blah BLAH, blah blah.  Our weather song.

Poured yesterday.  Relentlessly.

I was bleary and brain clogged from the party night before.   

Got a kitten call---from that Crabtree colony I trapped back in March and 1st of April.

Oh, big surprise, eh?  The calico had kittens again.  I feigned the empathy because when you don't fix an outside cat, um that's what happens, they have sex. Where there's sex, there are kittens being born, often to teen moms or moms who have had so many litters already their bodies are worn out.  There are no kitty condoms and the tomcats wouldn't use them anyway.  No stake in it for them.  It's the females who will have to feed and defend those kittens while the boys just wander and fight.  

So anyhow, I went on out late afternoon, not knowing exactly what I was going to do, texting people up a storm before I left, trying to find somewhere for them to go, if I took them.  Dead silence in that regard.  Everybody is full right now.

So anyhow, she took me out to the woodpile and there the little pathetics were, coming out crying and booger eyed and darn cute.  Mom nowhere to be seen.

The woman found them because mom left one behind when she moved them out to the woodpile.  That little one cried for hours til the woman heard her and took her inside.  Then yesterday morning, she tried putting her out where she found her again, hoping mom would return but she didn't.   She saw mom out by the woodpile then and took the kitten out there and found the others.


So, we took them back into their house, cleaned them up and fed them, then they spent the next hours in a carrier behind a set live trap out by the woodpile.  We hoped mom would return, and go into the trap to get to them.  No such luck.  Hours upon hours, with rain coming down off and on, in buckets, we waited to no avail.

During the wait, I discovered other kittens.  Two other litters.  One litter of two, although they claimed there are three, seven weeks old or so, would play on the back deck.  Who is their mom?  Well when I finished up last April, and not because I wanted to, knowing there were still two unfixed females (the calico and a young muted torti), the caretaker lady had told me, when I returned the others, by text, just to let those out in the yard, not to knock or come in and that she figured we got most of them.  What about the calico, I said, with no real response.  She'd been pregnant when I first saw her, in March, very pregnant and then wasn't when I'd returned to trap.   Anyhow, I figure the porch kittens are from the muted torti.

Here is one of them.  I saw the gray and white short hair and the buff and white short hair.


The third litter I saw finally when about to leave, at the far back of the property, with an already fixed torti.  The torti got fixed first week of April so she must have just had them, before I caught her and took her to be fixed.

The colony folk said there are three in that litter but I saw only the two.

Fixed torti mom and two of her alleged three kittens.  You can clearly see the right ear tip on her.

This is the torti mom when fixed last April 1st.

I finally left with the four kittens and headed over to Keitha's Kittie Rescue Karen's place, who gave some KMR.  I got more today, since these little monsters are going through it fast.

I left the trap set where under the trailer near the woodpile, hoping the calico mom would go for it, since it still smelled like her kittens.  And she did, not that long after I got home.  The colony caretaker brought her over.  

In the meantime, someone had given me a spay neuter spot for today, last minute.  So I took Cora the Calico up this morning.  She's tiny and run down and I don't want her nursing kittens while crawling in fleas, unvaccinated and heavy in worms.  All that is being taken care of today, at the clinic, thank goodness.   

Cora the Calico.  Mom of Four More.


In the end, I got an offer from a Salem woman to foster them, but she isn't connected to a rescue, so that means no medical support or spay neuter and vaccines through a rescue's connections.   She said she'd sign on to foster them through Salem Friends of Felines but so far, haven't heard back today if she's got that done.  If not, that's ok, Silverton Cat Rescue will take them once they're weaned, which is only a couple weeks away.  They can stay here, in my bathroom with their mom til then, I figure, if nothing else.

Meanwhile, the caregiver left two messages with the local large shelter but as of today, had not received a call back.

Anyhow, something will work out.


This afternoon, the sun is coming out and humidity is heavy in the air.  Uncomfortable.  We may go from pouring rain and 60's weather to another mini heat wave of 90 something this weekend. 

 Very strange indeed.



15 comments:

  1. I am very, very glad that you finally got that poor calico. HIss and spit that it couldn't have been done sooner, but definitely better late than never.
    It is still bucketing down in parts of Oz. Dreadful flooding. Here it is clear and chilly. Which I much prefer to humdity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard there would be more rain there. Is there flooding in Canberra at all?

      Delete
    2. No rain at all. Bright blue skies.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for helping so many cats have a better life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:01 PM

    It seems rather chaotic with so many kittens. I am sure you will get it sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh its a pain in the butt there. They won't monitor the cats to know who is there and who is who. They won't selectively trap for the two adults left needing fixed or the four to six kittens left from the other two litters. Its just a nightmare there to try to get anything done, since they won't.

      Delete
  4. So, does that mean those last two are finally fixed? Because if so, what a relief. It's like this never ends, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were three more adults needing fixed, although I didn't know about the buff and white male. I asked her who the males were, who got the two females pregnant then, because obviously there are males involved. She said it was Crabtree, there were unfixed boys everywhere. Literally two minutes later I went out to my car and there on the front porch was an unfixed buff and white male. I went back inside and asked her about him. Oh him, she says, I wish he was fixed cause he sprays everything. I stare in confusion. So....she knew about him too needing fixed and being around but two minutes prior she told me there were no unfixed males in the colony, just strays who came through. It took me hours to even figure out the kitten thing as they were not producing any information. Its usually the feeders who keep it going, by not participating, refusing to continue, its always people interference.

      Delete
    2. And there's the issue there's no spay neuter spots, to even get them done, unless I get lucky like today and get a cancellation spot. Happy that happened today though, for the calico.

      Delete
  5. I yet can't figure out why people don't fix there animals
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the free kitten trade. People get free kittens because they have no impulse control and never think about the fact it will cost them a small fortune to get the cat fixed, so they don't, then they hand out the kittens of the free kitten free, to like minded people who don't get them fixed either. And on it goes. If it were illegal for any unfixed cat to leave a person's property, no matter the age, that might end that stupidity. It's really stupid to get a free kitten, let's face it, when you can get one at a shelter or rescue for way less than it costs to get a cat fixed. Some of them get free kittens because they'd never pass through an adoption application, landlord doesn't allow pets, or their unparented little monster kids killed their last one, yada yada yada, people who shouldn't have kids, let alone pets....etc. I should shut my mouth, lol.

      Delete
    2. You're the last person I'd tell to shut up. ~hugs~ Our adorable mutt Trixie birthed one litter in my childhood before she got spayed. My father charged a small fee from adopters, explaining that even a small investment could result in the puppies' lives having a better outcome. Best wishes, my dear!

      Delete
  6. First, it sounds like the party on the 4th was fun. Did you meet anymore of your neighbors?

    So many kittens you rescued along with a mother. Their lives just improved 100 fold with your rescues. Thanks for your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a blast at that party! I met a couple of the newer neighbors. None of the long time neighbors I knew were there. I really enjoyed them all. It was wonderful.

      Delete

Back to 7-11

 I already have 3 cats here, waiting for placement from 7-11, with Silverton Cat Rescue barn cat program. The two girls--Eleven and Petunia,...