Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Godwin Gets Fixed

 

Godwin from Harrisburg

The vet student caught a big male she badly wanted to get in to be fixed, by hand, at the trailer park, a couple days ago.

I offered to house him, until Monday.  Monday is the last day I have spay neuter appointments, which excites me no end.   I offered all five to the vet student, to get anyone else she could get, at that trailer park.   With Godwin's capture, she's brought me 24, to transport up to the clinic.  But she's trapped more there before she found me, with my ready made appointments.  Her efforts there have really changed things for the better.  It really does only take one determined person to get their own neighborhood "fixed".   

I got into a terrible cycle of stress the last couple of weeks.   First it was being called by some Cascadia people, when I was not really wanting to get involved up there again.  Its such a long drive and I never really know if people will follow through once I make that effort, save spots for their cats, drive all that way.  So anyhow, stress and nightmares ate at me.  

Then it was also pet sitting the neighbors cat who had been diagnosed with a serious illness just prior and in the first days doing it, observing she could not poop and would strain so hard blood would drip from her rectum.   At the same time, Panda, one of my very elderly girls, crashed, wobbling and falling twice off cat runs.   I confined her to the bathroom, and built ramps and steps, so if she got out of the bathroom and tried to get to her favorite perches, she would be less likely to fall.

I tried to find somewhere for her end of days appointment.   She's had a heart murmur for many many years and I always expected one day it would get the best of her.

Finding nowhere I was comfortable with to take her in was a good thing, because she improved over the next several days, in my bathroom, with sub cu fluids and cat lax also.  She  was likely having constipation troubles.  It doesn't only affect us older humans.  Currently, she  is nearly back to normal.  Yes, she's old and so is her brother Soloman.  Both have health issues.  Comet too is failing fast.  He is 18 now.  I don't think any of the three will be with me very much longer.  

The news every night got to me too.  So I quit watching it.   I read, or watch comedies like That 70's Show, MASH, Everyone Hates Chris, Big Bang Theory etc.  

Although Godwin was going to be with me until Monday and fixed then, whs said they could get him done today.  So he's up at the clinic being neutered.   I'll catch as many cats as I can this evening and tomorrow at the Albany house, where they have about 15 unfixed cats, I think it is, although Tigger got fixed Monday from there.  But someone else will transport them to the FCCO Friday and bring them back.

I don't think they have 15 more needing fixed, because they counted the mom cat who just had kittens somewhere, maybe 11 more on the list they made, but they have 15 spots reserved.  So since the companion colony to the ditch colony has a few more, is already registered with FCCO, if its not pouring down rain, and it may be, again tomorrow, I may have a go at getting a couple more caught there.  I stopped by, meeting the ditch colony feeder there to hand him off cat food yesterday, and lingered to see if I could see any unfixed cats there again and saw two I didn't know about, who are not fixed.  There are at least two males I know of there too still needing fixed besides these two, in the video without eartips.

The torti in the video is not fixed and neither is that black tux, although the orange tux is fixed.  I've already taken 3 tortis from there to be fixed, and had no idea there is a 4th, but then I have no idea how many or what cats are really there.  I've taken 13 to be fixed from this location already.  Its a massive area and cats in the area are fed multiple places by various people.

Anyhow, five spots next Monday and then getting whomever I can for the 15 spots with the FCCO Friday.  That's it then.....that's it!   Then I retire at least for the summer.




9 comments:

  1. You have had a busy and stressful time. Very busy, very stressful. Your summer holidays can't come soon enough. And yes, I am avoiding watching the news too. I read it, but cannot watch it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will always be cats who need fixed.

      Delete
  2. How wonderful that the vet student has taken such an interest in getting cats fixed. Maybe they can take your place and you can retire to something less taxing. You certainly deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is getting the cats fixed right around her own trailer in the trailer park.

      Delete
  3. That's a lot. And I'm sure it makes a big difference. Enjoy your summer off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly will enjoy the time off!

      Delete
  4. The vet student seems to be life line.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For those trailer park cats, yes. They live around her trailer and of course a vet student is going to not want to see them reproduce. She couldn't believe there were no programs in our county to help. Still aren't. The nearest clinic is next county up. We don't have any low cost options in our county at all.

      Delete
  5. I hope you really do get to take time off and enjoy some lake time. ~hugs~ And I like to think this veterinary student will prove an ongoing force for good.

    ReplyDelete

End of Warmth

 We had some nice days.   But the heat is gone. We'll be in the 60's again for awhile, with perhaps some drizzle. I love the heat.  ...