Monday, January 24, 2022

Weekend Trap Watch

Fritter, from the apartments, was back today, looking for a fight.  I locked Gigi, the other neighbor cat, in the garage, to keep her from getting hurt again.  She's just finally healed, from the last fight with him.

I spent a few hours Saturday, then a lot of hours Sunday, trying to catch cats at the ditch colony.

I thought there were just three left.  But I caught four Saturday and two more Sunday and there are still three left I know of, needing fixed.

It became cold sitting in the car hour after hour.  I was reading a book while watching the trap.  I finally peeled the sticky backs off some handwarmers and stuck them inside my scarf and sleeves.  We were supposedly going to have some winter sun over the weekend and this week, but so far its just been freezing and foggy with air pollution mixed into the yuck.  Depressing, to say the least.

The two kittens I caught were cold, dehydrated and skinny, so they went to a Salem foster.  The other four were fixed today.  Two girls and two boys.    

The last of four siblings was one of the lucky ones caught and despite her now being over 3 months old, the friend of the colony is going to try to tame her, with a friend.   Beetle, now Shiloh, Crawdad, now Muffin, and a black tux girl (three of the four siblings) all went to fosters or rescues earlier on after I trapped them.  Boxy, as the colony caretaker calls this final sibling in that litter, hopefully will tame.  The colony friend picked up all four of the cats this evening and will return all but Boxy tomorrow.

I caught my little torti long hair escapee, from the cat yard--Phantom.  Finally.  That was late last night.  She's in the bathroom for now, until I can get the energy to check every inch of the cat yard.  I have this feeling she may have been coming and going from the cat yard during the time she was out.  I don't know that for sure, just happy to have her back in.   She has this very long silky fur, with fine undercoat.  It is already matting around her neck.  I shaved a couple off successfully this morning, after I was back from the clinic.  I want to find her a home, but it may take awhile to find someone who will groom her.  She will need a lifetime of grooming care.  

I had her on my lap to clip off more mats and hair.  You can see some of it on the floor.  There was a large pile.

So with the escapee back in, and all six cats and kittens from the colony gone, things get back to normal, except for the clean up.  Traps, laundry, car.  I get behind when I spend two days sitting along a road in a car.

I'll add photos later.  I'm just very tired tonight.

Stoney was one of the cats fixed today.  She is a young female.

Boxy was fixed today too and she is going to a foster, known to the friend of the colony.  Hopefully she'll tame and get a home, rather than return to the colony.



Razz, a big male, was fixed today also.

Lastly, Frog, a young black and white male, went to be fixed today.

Phantom got out of the bathroom where I had her, dashed right between my feet as I was exiting.  She's so darling.   I did spend time today trying to make sure the cat yard is secure, but she's smarter than I am, and I wonder if tomorrow she'll be out again, and maybe take Little Dragon, her more innocent sister, with her.  

9 comments:

  1. I am not surprised you are tired - and hope (possibly against hope) that Phantom is still in the yard in the morning.
    Sleep well - you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen her yet this morning. Hope she's still inside the house or cat yard somewhere sleeping.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous12:35 AM

    More success. It is good to be reminded of the all the other work that comes with trapping cats. Phantom has interesting looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot of work involved. Cleaning and disinfecting the traps and cage covers. Cleaning the car and other equipment, laundry, lots of that, then trying to catch up on the usual chores too, that I get behind on, when taking time to trap and transport. When Phantom was in the bathroom, she cried half the night, wanting out, which kept me awake too.

      Delete
  3. I think our cats are often smarter than we are. We had an escape cat once and every time we thought we had figured out how he had gotten into the forbidden room and fixed it, we would find him there the next day. We never figured it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, Phantom is still inside. Ha, have no faith that will last. I don't know how they find their secret ways into the forbidden zones but they do.

      Delete
  4. I can see why you'd be exhausted. That's hard work, especially just sitting there, waiting in the cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was reading a a good book though, so maybe I should quit whining.

      Delete
    2. Feel free to 'whine'. ~hugs~ I think you deserve more credit than you give yourself, let alone from what less useful humans offer.

      Delete

The Blues

 The blues have taken hold.  The weather turned to crap after two decent days.  Well only one of those days turned out warm, without the win...