Saturday, January 22, 2022

Four More Caught at RV Colony

 I was back at that water filled ditch, this time with knee high boots on, to see if I could catch whomever might be left needing caught.

Those boots made a huge difference.  No more plastic bags over my feet and legs.  I didn't know what my chances were, since 16 cats have already been trapped and fixed from this colony.  Four of those 16 did not return (kittens who went to foster).

I set a large trap, and attached the remote control unit to its side, to hold the door up.  I had the sender unit in my car.   This meant I had to be watching all the time and trying to discern eartips with binoculars.   I had reviewed my photos I took of the cats I'd taken to be fixed.  Ear tips can be tough to spot.  Lots of these cats are black tux or black and white and look very similar.

I caught a young black tux first off, that I knew was not fixed.  Later on, two tiny kittens ran out from under the fence.  One went directly into the trap to eat.  I bided my time, hoping the second would go in with the first, but no luck.  A car came by on the narrow little road and the second kitten vanished under the fence.  So I dropped the door of the trap closed on the little black and white kitten.  After I transferred her to a small trap, I set the larger again.  The little long hair brown kitten came running out again and went in this time, so I caught her too.




 
The kittens, I found, were so dehydrated and skinny, they could not be fixed Monday and instead I contacted Rhonda in Salem, who fostered Crawdad, from same colony.  She sent her daughter down to get both of them immediately to my great relief.
 
But not before....a little kitten time....

I caught another black tux young adult out there too who isn't fixed and left then, but I'll have to return tomorrow, to try for two more.  I know of at least three left needing fixed.   

Saw a few of the already fixed ones.

Chinnie was among the first five I caught there, a little girl.

Blitzen, one of the big males fixed there.  See that right ear tip?

This young male was one of two cats caught and fixed by the lady involved before she moved, in trying to "fix" the colony.  He's looking good.
Well that's what I did today.  I didn't have to spend a lot of time at the colony to catch the four I caught.  Tomorrow they'll be onto me big time though.   Wish me luck.  I still have two open reservations.


10 comments:

  1. Well done. As always. And hooray for boots which keep your feet dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boots make it so easy to cross the water ditch.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous11:01 PM

    I didn't know you had a remote control device to drop the trap doors. Excellent. Even with a very smart and wary cats, hunger will probably get the better of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have had it quite a long time, this one store bought. Prior to that I made one myself, range 1 mile, still have that one too.

      Delete
  3. Another job, well done. Every time I see the pictures of the cats, I think what beautiful creatures they are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The boots sound like a good investment. Four caught is excellent odds. Hopefully the others won't realize what's happening and your last two will be caught easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding, for $15 too! I did catch two more. But there are still 3 more. I think this will be the never ending colony.

      Delete
    2. A never ending colony is a sad prediction. But you know best and I wish you ALL the best, my dear.

      Delete
  5. Having cold wet feet no fun at all. Blitzen looks like big boy.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Black and white kitties always reminded me of skunks.

    ReplyDelete

Sun Coming

 Sun is supposed to come to us finally here in Oregon.   It's been pouring last few days, today included. At first, the weather stations...