Friday, January 28, 2022

Towel Dye

 The weather has been freezing last couple nights.  

I get up, go out and get the hummingbird feeder, pour the slush the solution has become, if not solid ice, into a coffee mug and microwave it to liquid again, then put it back in the feeder and take it back out.  They don't seem to mind microwaved sugar water.  

I go out barefoot and without a coat because it takes awhile for the 25 or 27 degree cold to seep through body fat.  By the time that happens, I'm back inside.

Body fat can come in handy.   I watched a season of Alone, where they dumped former contestants who had lost out in Mongolia I think it was, to try to be the last person out there.   They get to have a few survival tools with them.   They build their own shelter and have to find all their own food. And they all slowly or quickly starve so badly they give up, one by one.

 So this one guy with a great sense of humor said he brought 70 pounds of extra food with him, then pinched his belly fat.  His strategy this time around was to start fat and let his body consume it, over the month to three months the show would last.  He won!!!   He didn't catch many fish or much of anything really but body fat paid off for him with the win.

I only got two of my cage covers back after the woman returned the cats to the colony for me.  I'm so short by now on cage cover towels, that this irked me.  However she brought some by at some point last night, because I found a box out front with four towels in it.  They're white and cream.  

White towels make a trap stand out and I don't use them except for once the cat is in the car in the trap.   Since many of my towels have never been seen again, after I loan traps and covers, especially my cherished dark towels, I decided to try to dye these white ones.   I cut two of them in half, since they were also too long, wet them down, and put them into the washer, full of hot water and half a cup of salt and my remaining brown RIT dye.   I don't think I have enough dye for the four towel halves to end up very dark, but we'll see.

Washing machine with RIT dye in the water.  I also added a couple kettles of boiling water twice.

White towels are turning brown but not that brown

Finished product.  Better than white!   

I had half bottle of blue jean blue RIT too, and am seeing how the other two towels might come out with that.   

The other things I found outside my front door last night were bags of Walmart groceries.  I did not order them.  This is the second time I have received a Walmart order that was not mine.  The first time I was home and the delivery driver spouted out my name and address, on the order.  How could this be, when I didn't order these things.  Then I figured it was someone who once ordered me something and was having issues with checking the box for the right address.  I called the likely suspect and sure enough.  I then delivered her groceries on to her.  Same person this time, same problem with her not checking the correct address when ordering, horribly apologetic, and because I didn't have the frig space to hold her stuff overnight, I delivered them on to her last night.

I'm trying to stay off facebook and grossly limit any time I spend on it.   Not that easy.  But its destroying my mental health lately.   It creates this false sense, for me, of friendships that in reality do not exist at all.  What a fool I can be, sitting here alone day in day out thinking well I have friends on facebook.   What a joke!!!!   I'm trying to not be so stupid.   And get out into the world to have some real life contact.

I'll update with exciting recolored towel photos once I fish them out of the dye bath.


These came out a nice color, for cage covers that is.  Started out as white and cream.

13 comments:

  1. I've never really used my Facebook. That's why I like blogging. You really can get to know someone this way. Sad about the towels. Can you get some from charity shops or such?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like these white, cream ones will be fine, now that they're dyed a bit darker. In good condition too.

      Delete
  2. I don't play FB. I spend enough time (more than enough) on line already. Glad that the towels look to have come good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to get off it. I got on it when I created the nonprofit business, but anymore I think its hurting me more than helping.

      Delete
  3. The towels look like they came out pretty good, like you said better than white. Sorry about the grocery mix up, sounds like a real pain if you ask me. I got off of Facebook years ago and I will never go back, it's a toxic place, just say no and blog away instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pain in the butt, the grocery address mix up. I hope she's deleted my address from her phone by now, so it doesn't happen again. I was pretty shocked to open my front door last night and see all these bags out there, then also a box with those four towels. That is good to know about you leaving facebook. It is very toxic and hurtful often and I am trying hard to kick the habit.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous1:55 PM

    Decades ago I dyed some things. From memory the colour did not last long. Down the track, can you tell how well the dye lasted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found it fades fast. I'll try to keep an eye on these towels, see how they do.

      Delete
  5. I've never dyed fabric. But I have read about people dying there own fabrics for quilting.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are dying one color, the washing machine method is very easy. You can get RIT dye fixer, that will fix the color into the fabric so its stays longer. I didn't have any this time.

      Delete
  6. I find FB is a lot better since the election is over. I do visit from time to time because our neighborhood has a page that gives out good information like someone spotted 2 coyotes in their backyard yesterday, etc. Also, that's how I communicate with a couple of friends and extended family. But it can drive you crazy and I've taken breaks before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might just leave up my page but keep away from it mostly. I don't really have anyone I communicate with anymore. If I message someone on fb, maybe a couple days later they'll answer or maybe never. I think it makes me more lonely.

      Delete
  7. Nice dye job! :D I hope that gal starts checking her delivery address from now on.

    ReplyDelete

Dog Days Behind a 7-11

 I spent five or six hours Saturday night behind the 7-11 again, after unfixed cats there. Woohoo, what an exciting life I live.  Wow.  I be...