Wednesday, October 06, 2021

Where's my Lug Wrench?

 I was sure I had a lug wrench in my car, nestled in by the spare tire.   But its not there and nowhere to be found.  I've never used it on this car.  Maybe it was never in there.

Yesterday I had an appointment with a mechanic at 10 to check out the whoop whooping scraping noise up front I've been hearing.  I still had high hopes it was a rock or something caught in the brake pad maybe, or something but I really didn't think it was.  I had begun feeling inhibition in a wheel when I drove, but was I imagining that?  I didn't know.

The mechanic did not show up.  The door was locked and the message machine said they were closed til next week and yet I'd talked to the son of the owner the night before and made the 10:00 a.m. appointment.   I waited half hour then left another message on their machine and left.

So today I figured I better take action myself.  I used my flimsy tinny door jack to jack up that right front wheel and tire.  Then I spun the tire and heard this loud clicking both directions.  Gosh darn.  That would be a bearing bad.  I was going to take off the tire then, to check for any impediment on the back of it.  That's when I discovered my lug nut wrench---gone!  Missing!    

Oh great.

So I went over to Schwab with the car.  I didn't have to wait too long until they came out and told me my right front wheel bearing is going south and also the tie rods both left and right have play.   But they're not so bad I'd need to immediately replace them.   

I have an appointment tomorrow for bearing replacement.  That bearing was replaced shortly after I got the car, but it is no longer under warranty anyhow and that shop is out of business now.

I'll get a lug wrench tomorrow to place by the spare, so its there next time I need it.

8 comments:

  1. I get Schwab tires because of there guarantee.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh. I hope the bearings don't cost too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who knows what was going on with the mechanic shop? I'm glad that you found a place to get your work done. We don't have Schwabs around here, but I have heard of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long time Oregon chain but recently sold. I don't know who bought them, but so far the name is same.

      Delete
  4. That's weird about that closed garage. I wonder what happened. Best wishes on getting your ride back in safe driving shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well his son had said his dad was off at the drag races. The dad owns the shop, but the son didn't say they were closed and then made the appointment for the next day. Oh well, he probably forgot. Anyhow, I also need tierods but they're not emergency. I can't take the sound and feel of a bad wheel bearing. Drives me nuts being OCD, so very happy to get it fixed fast.

      Delete
  5. I am in awe at your ability to diagnose problems.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the car is ok 😬

    ReplyDelete

Sunday

 Sunday I was so slow getting going after the late night Saturday. But after cleaning litterboxes, giving KMR to kittens, feeding the ferals...