Sunday, May 23, 2021

The Last Five

 I blew it and somehow deleted my post about Friday's cats when trying to edit it.  I thought I could somehow "restore" my mistake but never found a way.

I won't try to recreate it now, at this point.  I became distracted yesterday.  I returned the cats, all but one, who is quite ill, and then ended up stopping by KATA's garage sale in Lebanon.  Worn out, I plopped down on a chair, then was hard put to get going again, but finally did.

Someone came by the sale who used to be a park host at Waterloo.  I knew her and her husband from way back, helping them with cats there then.  I couldn't believe it when she said that was ten years ago.  How time flies.  When I told her I was still at it in Waterloo and had in fact just returned a cat likely dumped in the park, now fed just over the hill in residential, she wasn't surprised. Her husband has since died of cancer and she's now living in Lebanon with her daughter and son in law and very happy where she's at, she said.  It was so nice to chat with her, in that chance meeting at the yard sale.   I also got to see for the first time, a long time supporter and facebook friend.  In person!!!!!  That too was really nice.

So, for the record, here are the five cats fixed yesterday.

Copper is an orange tabby boy who showed up at a place on a rural road.  He was welcomed there, fed, but needed fixed.  A friend knew of this boy because its her friend who takes care of him.  When I returned Copper yesterday, I can't tell you how happy and excited he was to be back home.  The two fixed girl cats who often fight came running out to see him and he wouldn't let the lady alone, who loves him.  It was just darling!  Devoted stray syndrome, I call it.  That's when a stray finally finds a refuge, someone who gives a damn.  The cat is so grateful and relieved they become very attached to their new people.

Copper, the lucky stray

How about big kind Klaus, the latest Waterloo boy to show up in need at a residential location and likely was dumped in the park.  He's laid back and awesome but sure needed fixed.

Klaus

The other three all came from that Lacomb colony, being trapped by the Lebanon relative.  The colony where the six newborns came from, whom I drove to Portland.  The orange tux girl was briefly (one night) with a KATA foster lady in Sweet Home, as she was pregnant.  But shortly after arrival, she had four premature stillborn kittens.  She was still bleeding the next morning, when I took her in.  The clinic found another dead kitten inside her.  She should feel better soon.  The other adult, a dilute calico, was in my bathroom a couple days before she went to be spayed and was thought to be the mom of the newborns.  Her paperwork however told a different story.  She was neither postpartum nor lactating.  At least she's spayed now.  She had a bad URI too.  All three cats fixed from this location received convenia injections.  Clover, the third, the little white one, is still in my bathroom, underweight and wheezy and with one nonfunctioning eye.  And we shall see how she does.

Dandelion

Poppy

Little Clover

Some friends of mine, same ones who mowed my lawn when my back was so bad in March, had taken away my old electric mower, as it had slowed to where it needed cheerleading to keep cutting.   Cheerlead I faithfully did, as I tried to get it through even short grass.  I thought, optimistically, it could use a blade sharpening.  So my friend came and took it away and said he'd be back that afternoon with it.  That was over ten days ago and I began to wonder if something had happened to him.

Then I get home finally yesterday, after returning cats and plopping in a chair at that garage sale, and there sitting by my garage, was a new machine---very orange and very pretty.  My darn friends had tossed my $100 electric lawn mower, that I clung to as familiar a little too long, and replaced it with a brand new one.  I almost dropped dead.

Anyhow, wasn't that spectacularly sweet of them?   And generous!

I set up my game cam in the garage last night, for kicks, but caught only the same two neighbor cats, coming and going and coming again, like they own it--Gigi and Fluffybutt.



That's it for today.  I've been tired out, and slept early yesterday and finally have enough sleep to maybe get something done today.  Number one on my list, if its not raining,  I'll take that new mower out for a spin on the growing lawn.  The weather is fickle, some sun breaks, mostly gray, sometimes dark with heavy clouds and that telltale rain-coming wind and even hail.

8 comments:

  1. WONDERFUL news about Copper. And your new mower too.
    Big smiles from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am aching to try out that mower, but weather has been uncooperative.

      Delete
  2. I hear yellow cat usual rank pretty high in cat world.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of people sure do love them and I think by nature they are generally the Jimmy Buffets of the cat world.

      Delete
  3. Over the years I have lost posts, too. Try Google Cache and see if it's there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had what I call a spastic finger when it happened, was trying to hit one of the buttons, from the post list, hit the wrong one. I'd never thought of google cache but its likely gone too. I had another issue with my finger hitting wrong thing. Got a message from an old friend I don't hear from often asking if it was me in some video, and I hit the link, not meaning to. This caused me panic as I realized it was a fake link and not to a video and my friends fb account had been replicated by hacker. I guess she didn't have her contact list set to private either, which is dangerous. Anyhow, I panicked over it and began running security scans, cleaning out everything. Still doing that actually because malware can come up days later.

      Delete
    2. You are smart. ~nods~ I tear up whenever someone does something nice for another these days. Sad, yeah? ~hugs~ Best wishes, my dear.

      Delete
    3. Me too Darla. I can't watch a happy ending news story without the tears flowing now. But I still love those being kind to others stories.

      Delete

End of Warmth

 We had some nice days.   But the heat is gone. We'll be in the 60's again for awhile, with perhaps some drizzle. I love the heat.  ...