Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Walmart Kitten Adventure Today

 I was in a bum mood today, accomplishing nothing and still in pj's.

Then I got a message from Lisa of KATA wondering if I could go to Walmart.

It seems she was contacted by a shopper, who had found tiny kittens at the very back of the garden section, but in a place where she could not get to them.  They were down behind the tall metal mesh garden center walls and a concrete wall.  She wondered if I could go over and check it out.

I was in my car with nets and a carrier thrown in, in ten minutes flat.  Guess I needed something fun to do.

I parked behind the garden center and located the wall the customer had even photographed for Lisa, for ease of finding.  I looked down behind it and saw six little faces, some hissing, look back at me.


It's maybe four feet down, from top of the concrete wall to the bottom, where the kittens were.   The woman who saw them had seen the mom run out but she hadn't gone far, although by now I had no idea where she might be.  Close, I figured.  Behind me in the parking lot were piled bales of cardboard recycling.  In there somewhere, I thought.

I went and got my two nets and my walking stick from my car.  One net had too short a handle to be useful, so I used the other net plus the handle end of my walking stick.  With that walking stick handle I pushed the kittens into my net, then hoisted them up one by one.  Some were hissy spitty, even striking out blindly, as their eyes were still blue and not their final color and they could barely walk yet.  

The woman who had originally seen them drove up about then, and she held them all while I went to get KMR from a nearby store since Walmart was out.  I got a syringe too, from same store, and we fed them once I got back.  Then I was stimulating little bladders best as I could with a few napkins I had in my car.  Man alive they could pee out a lot!  The little girl who was initially hissy and striking out, bless her heart, the moment she got some KMR down her she turned into the sweetest kitten in the world.  Holy transformation!

The tabby in the following video is her:


The other lady left and I put four of the kittens in a carrier behind a set trap over by the cardboard recycle bales and then I waited.  Catching the mom with kittens as bait can take a couple of hours.

She came around the corner, headed towards the concrete wall, after a couple hours, then did a 90 degree turn toward the trap when she heard the kittens.  She went straight into the trap for them and it snapped shut behind her.   I caught her only five minutes before Lisa showed up from Sweet Home.  Good timing!!  All seven were contained including mom.

They all went back to Sweet HOme with Lisa from KATA.  Including mom (below).


I'll end with the cat weed addict who raids my supply nightly.  Yeah, that's catnip he's got his face in right now, in this photo.  Proof!  His name is Fritter and he's not my cat.




10 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:46 AM

    That sounds quite exciting and it looks like the kittens will be easy to tame. Great to get the mother too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too exciting really but fun and relaxing. The kittens were easy to push into a net and pull up from where they were. Then it was just a waiting thing for mom. It was warm yesterday but windy and not hot, so I sat in my car holding two of the kittens while the other four were bait behind the trap for mom.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like the mama cat found a fairly safe place to have her kittens, but now they will be even safer with a chance for a good life. You trap in the most interesting places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Safe until a few days from now, when they're walking well. She would have had a time of it then, with the parking lot a few feet out from the wall.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fritter looks lot my cat Ziggy.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww what beautiful babies. I love when babies hiss. Trying to look so tough!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your idea of relaxation is so heroic. ~grin~ Best wishes to all!

    ReplyDelete

Dashing

 Got a message this morning.  Was I even really awake yet?   The weather has been really winterish, with winds, pouring rain, cold, even thu...