Thursday, February 18, 2021

Roofing

 When my roof began to leak in the garage, my brother was on it instantly.

He had a roofing company here giving him an estimate like two days later.   

I didn't expect them to work on it for awhile, given the weather and time of year.  But they arrived yesterday and stripped the roof of old roofing.  

Today they're up there removing some rotted plywood (only two sheets thankfully).  The rotted edges were above where it had been leaking in the garage.

They're nice young men (I don't judge age very well).  I am rather in awe of such folk who work so hard in all sorts of weather..   Like the electric company folks out trying to get trees off downed wires, repair and replace lines and transformers and even install new utility poles, all while people clamor they do so faster.

Like my brother and his crew, trying to build things, often in mud and pouring rain and under severe deadlines and continual pressure.

I'm very grateful to be getting a beautiful roof.  I'm so lucky I don't even know how to write this.





Last night, I had a skylight in the garage.   It's where a vent was, which will be replaced.  Hole is covered by waterproof wrap that covered the entire roof after the old shingles were gone.  It's what they put under roofing now I think.  Yesterday the weather was great.  Today it is supposed to rain all day.

There are still a lot of people, even in this county, without power, from the storm.   In Salem and in Portland, there are far more still without power, as crews work round the clock to remove downed trees and limbs across lines, replace transformers that blew and even utility poles.  Many folks remain without internet due to same trouble, cable lines down or damaged.  Texas though....oh gosh, that's another story and what they are going through.  So many there without power, in near zero temps but its not because of trees destroying lines and transformers.  They're power grid is a mess and badly managed.

13 comments:

  1. I am so very glad that your roofing issues are being sorted so quickly.
    And watch the news from Texas in horror. They were so completely unprepared...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my favorite Texas storm horror photo is of the ceiling fan encrusted in beautiful long icicles from their water leak.

      Delete
  2. I, too, have great admiration for those who work in all kinds of weather to make things better for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:57 PM

    I wonder if Texas is a low tax state and doesn't have the reserve resources to act in a timely manner when extreme weather hits. Great to hear about your roof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas has its own power grid, not connected to any other state. They made it that way to avoid regulations but meant they also can't borrow power from other states. Now they pay the price.

      Delete
  4. Glad you got a roof over your head so quickly. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's partially done only. It absolutely poured today. With wind. They tried to work on it, but didn't get a lot done and left. I don't know what the weather is to be tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. I thought of you when I heard about the issues in Oregon. Glad to hear that you were unaffected.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad hardworking folks showed up so fast (!) and that you'll soon have a new roof. It can be so hard to get work done at all. Best wishes, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the roof is done, not sure. There's still a box of roofing nails out back but they maybe forgot them. It looks done. I LOVE IT!

      Delete
  7. Your house is cute!

    ReplyDelete

End of Warmth

 We had some nice days.   But the heat is gone. We'll be in the 60's again for awhile, with perhaps some drizzle. I love the heat.  ...