Sunday, August 09, 2020

Victory in Cascadia!

Finally!

I caught the last Cascadia homeless camp kitten.

I went up very early and took Cascadia herself along, their tame mother.  She wasn't happy about this and cried most of the way up there.

When I arrived, I saw the drop trap was still up, with half the food I'd left in the plate under the drop trap still there.  Which meant half of it had been eaten.  I'd asked that they close the trap if they were not watching it.

Also, one live trap was closed, empty and paper shredded.  What had been caught in that?

I put Cascadia in a live trap at the very back of the drop trap and sat back in my car and waited.

The yellow jackets were swarming.  I was afraid she'd be stung.

Pretty soon, the campers unfixed male (they won't let me get him fixed) strolled out and up to Cascadia.  She wasn't that happy to see him.  The pitbull came down the hill and I had to take him back up the hill.

The guy comes out of the little trailer.  I ask who had been caught in the trap.  "One of S's little dogs."  S is the lady who had the Siamese with her four  kittens.  She has four little dogs, not well cared for, who roam the area at night--scrounging for food.  Many of the campers don't like them, because they yap all the time and sometimes bite.

Cascadia, meanwhile, was calling for her kittens and someone was answering.  Here she came, tentative at first, the little calico, out of the berry vines.  But then she spotted mom and up went her tail in happiness and she trotted quickly to the drop trap and nosed mom through the back of the drop trap.   Finally she came around to the front and went under the drop trap to mom and I yanked the cord and dropped the trap over her.

I didn't breath until I had successfully transferred her to a live trap, however.

Got her!!!  I'm so relieved and happy.  So is she, to be honest.

Mom and all three girl kittens go to a friend of mine this evening who will find them placements.  HCC will pay for the other two girls to be fixed.  Mom and one kitten are already spayed.

Hurrah!


8 comments:

  1. Well done!!!!
    And definitely hoorah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to catch her and have her back with her mom and sisters!

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear about the happy reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Another job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wow. Well done! And they are so beautiful. I'm just sorry there is so much human garbage making these animals' lives hell. Thank you for hanging in there on their behalf. ~hugs~ I hope you get some well deserved rest, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I have caught up on sleep and cleaning. Went to the lake yesterday but it was hellishly crowded. I guess that's how things are now. So many people have moved here its pathetic.

      Delete

Dashing

 Got a message this morning.  Was I even really awake yet?   The weather has been really winterish, with winds, pouring rain, cold, even thu...