Tuesday, August 04, 2020

Siamese Family Moves On

The little Siamese family from the Cascadia homeless camp moved on yesterday.

They had been here since Thursday.  All were badly underweight, full of worms, and had diarrhea.

They needed vet care and fast.  I first thought they would go to one rescue, but in the end, they could not go to them, since the foster open had some kittens with possible ringworm.  I scrambled looking for a Plan B.

Karen in Portland helped out, contacting a rescue she works with, who  agreed to take them.  They went straight to the vet who runs it, last night, after I drove them up to Woodburn and met Karen there for a cat transfer in a MacDonalds parking lot.



Yesterday, before I drove them to Woodburn, I drove up to the lake with my kayak.  There were not as many people and I was happy.  I put in the kayak and paddled a bit, but not far, to where there was a tiny beach without people.  I tied it to a submerged rock, then got my boogie board off the back, which I'd actually found a few years back here at the lake, and swam. 

 I swam for awhile, then got back in the kayak, still an issue I haven't mastered completely, and paddled out under the bridge toward the roped off county park swimming area, but a few hundred feet shy of the beach, which is too crowded for me.  Again I tied off the kayak and swam, finally pulling the kayak behind me. 

But then my issue with Kayak re entry became a problem.  I couldn't find anywhere I could get back in, that wasn't crowded over in people.  So I swam a very long way, back across the arm, under the bridge, then back to the other side again, looking for somewhere I could get back into the kayak.   I was not that far from the boat ramp where I originally launched before finding a shallow enough area where I could plop back onto it.

I loved the long swim, however, and didn't want to leave the lake behind, but had to get back home to load the Siamese and head north.

I got my exercise let's say and had a great time.  I wasn't up there very long.

I've startled lost boy Titus twice now inside my garage.  He comes and goes through the cat door I made for him.  He still won't go for a trap, however.

Hopefully he will do so one of these days.

Today I'll be after the other little family up at the homeless camp--already fixed Cascadia and the rest of her kittens, three in all left up there.  Wish me luck.  She can go up to Scappoose and be with her relatives, if I get her.  That lady took five other adults from that camp right before the Covid shutdown and is willing to take Cascadia and one of her kittens.   So all I have to do is go catch them.  Ha!  Easier said than done.

Cascadia, taken when fixed in mid June

8 comments:

  1. Your lake outings always sound so good. But remind me, how did you solve the problem of transporting the kayak? I remember it was difficult getting it home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put it inside the car now, up over the passenger seat almost to the windshield. It sticks out a couple feet at the back, so I strap the back hatch down. It's simple and quick.

      Delete
  2. I am glad that you got to the lake and had a swim. I know that water is often heart balm for you.
    I am also glad that Titus is hanging around. I hope he does go into a trap soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I don't know where Titus is hanging out during the day. I wish he would go into a trap too.

      Delete
  3. I wish you the best of luck with Cascadia, her kittens, and Titus. Take care, and I'm glad you enjoyed a nice swim. You deserve more relaxing downtime and exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I caught Cascadia, but only one of her kittens.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous4:05 PM

    The paddling and swim must be very good for your mental well being.

    ReplyDelete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...