Thursday, August 06, 2020

Cascadia ReBoot

I went back up to Cascadia homeless camps Tuesday.

I wanted/hoped to get the mom cat named Cascadia and her last three kittens, but alas, I caught only one of the kittens and Cascadia herself before the dog arrived---the overly friendly pitbull spotted my car and raced down the hill to see his long lost friend---me.

The two remaining kittens bolted into the berry vines.


The first thing I see is my friend's face in the open car window!

I left two traps set.  A Sweet Home woman said she would check them and remove them for me.   That did not prove to be very helpful.  She refused to answer later in the day, as to whether or not she had checked those traps or removed them.  This worried me tremendously, because I don't leave traps set where someone isn't going to check them, and its an hours drive from where I live up to that camp.  I finally had to head out, late Tuesday evening, to go back up there to do it myself.

I went up to the old school homeless camp after leaving the High Deck camp and got three tame kittens born there, from Cowboy, the guy who feeds them.  They'll go back once fixed.  Their mom is about to pop pregnant again. 

I picked up a Lebanon boy too, to be fixed, and by now had five cats for five reservations, up at the McMinnville clinic.  Four of them kittens from two homeless camps.
Cascadia's girl kitten was fixed Wednesday

Cascadia herself

Three kittens, the girl in the middle, from Old School homeless camp in Cascadia, fixed Wednesday.

Lebanon boy fixed Wednesday

The cost for a feral or stray package at the McMinnville clinic is $45.  I add $5 donation per cat there, as it is a small nonprofit clinic and the donation helps keep them afloat and goes into a fund to fix more cats where people can't pay the price themselves.  So total cost for five Linn County cats to be fixed there Wednesday was $250.

6 comments:

  1. Despite the difficulties you did (as always) exceptional work.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know of any non-profit vets around here. Do you see that much there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They work, and are paid, at nonprofit spay neuter clinics. That's the only place you find them around here, but none in this county where I live. The clinic in McMinnville is run by a shelter. It's the smart thing, otherwise, your shelter is overwhelmed with unwanted cats, dogs, kittens and puppies, if you don't also try to do something to stop the reproduction. Same thing with Willamette Humane Society's shelter in Salem. Their spay neuter clinic is right by the shelter. Again, its smart. Its super backwards to have a shelter and not do something to address the source of unwanted cats and dogs.

      Delete
    2. The one vet with the adoption group has a day job and her work with the the adoption nonprofit, that took the Siamese mom and kittens, is volunteer.

      Delete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...