Monday, July 27, 2020

The Re--Appearing Kitten

I'd just been over to feed the boys in Waterloo.

I was back in town, at Home Depot, then Walmart when I got a text from the Sodaville woman, whose four kittens I was to trap to be fixed Friday had vanished.

The text said "One of the kittens came back and I have her inside.  Can you take?"

Ok, I thought, better get the kitten before it vanishes again.  I went over, in the 100 degree heat, and loaded her into my car, in a super large carrier.  I didn't have a carrier already in the car and I didn't want to drive home.

Dee, a friend, had donated enough money to HCC so I could go get a portable AC for the garage.  The garage gets so hot in summer I can't recuperate cats in there or they'd die of heat stroke.  I usually don't do cat trapping in the months of July and August for that reason, and take a summer break.

Well this summer has been odd, in many ways.  One of those ways is it hasn't been very warm.  Not until this week hit.  Now we're getting 90's and 100 degree days.
This is made to cool a 250 sq. ft. room.  The garage room is a bit larger than that but this unit yesterday got the temp down to 80 degrees inside at least.  Better than 120 degrees.

Suddenly.

Yesterday was our first really warm day.  Today will be the 2nd.   So I had that AC unit in the car when I arrived to pick up the kitten in Sodaville and now I had a huge carrier in the car too.

Once home, I quickly set up the cage in the living room and put the very sweet little girl kitten inside it.  She is incredibly petite for her age, of just over three months.  I don't know how that poor mom cat, also petite, on her first litter no less, managed to keep five kittens alive.  That is, if the other three are alive, I thought.

Moonie, her fuzzy boy kitten, had been the only kitten around last Thursday when I went to trap all five and the mom.   So he and mom were fixed Friday and mom went home on Saturday.  Moonie went to a Salem adoption group.

Now I have this little girl.


Today I am going to Wilsonville to pick up the Sweet Home mom cat, the one who'd had kittens in the trap here.  She's been with ARCF as the kittens grow, and now they are weaned and she is spayed.  So she is going back to her colony. 
She's back at her place in Sweet HOme now

Also, ARCF is taking Shroom, Chanterelle and Truffles, the fungi kittens.  They were fixed Friday.  I guess ARCF's vet clinic takes the kittens, staff socializes them, and adopts them out to clients.  I hope the best for the three.  They've been with me a month now.  I will hand them off and pick up Sweet Home mom cat and head with her directly to Sweet Home.

Then its Sodaville again, as she informed me last night, a third kitten showed back up and she has that one inside now.  Then there's this.  This morning, another neighbor cat showed up to get his catnip fix.  They come to get high.


8 comments:

  1. I wish someone would design a portable A/C unit to carry around on our person! 80 is definitely better than 120. I hope the electric bill is reasonable. ~hugs~ And thank you for the videos. :) I'm reminded of a humorous sign outside one local vet's office. One time it read: If you don't talk to your cat about catnip, who will? ~snicker~ Take care, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that the kittens are reappearing and can be given a new life. I am sad that they are making it difficult for themselves and you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing worth getting is ever easy, I tell myself. I now have number two and number three. I just need numbers four and five. Lol. Dream on!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous4:03 PM

    The kitten looks like a very active young lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be careful out in the heat. It's been really hot for a few weeks here without relief. It reminds me of when I lived on the Gulf Coast and the long summers there. I'm not a fan.

    Good luck with the rest of the kittens. It's wonderful that you have three of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have a po box? I should send you some of the really good catnip from the witchcraft store. Once my boys had a roll around in it, they turn up their noses at any other catnip

    ReplyDelete

Ten Extras

 I have ten extra cats in my garage. Nine are in traps, just brought over from the Scravel colony.    They are almost all orange tabbies, wi...