Friday, February 21, 2020

Fire!

My face is on fire.

Started yesterday.  Nerve pain across my cheek and down under my chin into my lower teeth.

I made an appointment for the bad molar upper left to be hopefully pulled.  It's been bothering me actually since it was filled but I'd hoped it would get better.  I can't chew on it.  And yesterday suddenly the pain got a million times worse.

It first was in my cheek above that tooth but then has spread to bizarre extremes, and I hope I didn't suddenly develop trialgia neuralgia--inflammation of the facial nerves that is known to cause about the worst pain known.

It is usually caused by demilinization of the nerve, I read, generally due to a blood vessel's too close proximity to that nerve at some point.  But can be caused by other things too, including trauma or compression of the nerve somewhere or disease or tumor.

I reasoned it would be too much coincidence that I was having trouble with the tooth for several weeks, to not be related.  I thought the only other change I've had is lately I've been walking a lot after my car broke down.  But I also have tmj in my jaw on that side and probably have arthritis in it also.  My jaw sometimes locks on the other side.  I don't know how close the jaw joint itself is to the tangled nerve hub near that same point.  I suppose a lot of actual position may differ person to person.

I had terrible facial nerve problems after the beating that ruptured a neck disc backwards into my spinal cord, compressing it by half.  It had also ruptured to the left compressing nerves that fed muscles on the left side of my neck, which became rock hard.

They tightened over the nerves on my face causing me horrible pain, eye and lip twitiching, on one side, and would pull down one side of my nose.  The pain then extended to one side of the inside of my mouth, generally the roof of my mouth and sometimes one side of my tongue.

When I finally got that neck disc sucked out of my spinal cord, most of those issues vanished instantly, but not all and I still have dealt with the nerve telling my face muscle to pull down on one of my nose and chronic periodic cheek and mouth pain.  These symptoms generally occur if I use my left arm too much or tilt my head back when working.

Let's hope its the tooth.   The tooth in question had an internal resorption cavity that extended into one root and he said it really needed a root canal, to kill that nerve. 

UpDate:  Gone, baby, gone, it was the tooth and so long, bye bye to that horrible awful pain!   Tooth has been pulled.

12 comments:

  1. Crossing my fingers that the issue is resolved quickly. Any type of pain is no fun, but when it's on the face it's even worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling just small amounts of pain now, the aftermath of tooth pulling, like a bee sting really compared to what it was before it was pulled.

      Delete
  2. I really, really hope it is the tooth.
    And that it can be pulled quickly.
    Dental pain is definitely right up there in the unbearable pain stakes.
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crap. I am sending good vibes that it's the tooth and you see improvement soon. ~hugs~ If only the a-hole who hit you suffered half so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vast improvement, Darla, thank you.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous2:27 PM

    Good that it is gone. People go to long lengths and expense to save teeth with mixed success, and sometimes it is best to just pull it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there was no saving it really, not without thousands of dollars and maybe even then it wouldn't have worked out.

      Delete
  5. So happy that it was your tooth and you feel better. Sounds like you have suffered enough through out the years with facial pain. Trigeminal neuralgia is no fun. As you know, I can attest to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you suffer with it L & L and you must be made of stronger stuff than I. The pain is like nothing else with facial nerve inflammation.

      Delete
  6. I am so glad for this update. Be well, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I am so happy reading this update. ~hugs~ And thanks for the kind words on my blog. Yes, my husband is a keeper. :) We met thirty-one years ago (in summer of 1989) when I was 20 and he 28.

    ReplyDelete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...