Sunday, February 16, 2020

Carless

Still without a working car.

Last night a friend took me to the grocery store.  She lives in another town but was over here, and gave me a call knowing I lost my wheels.

The rain pounded down yesterday but nonetheless I took a walk to the closest thing we have for a grocery store in this neighborhood, a 7-11.  It's only six blocks away. A real grocery store is over 2 1/2 miles walk one way.  I don't mind walking that far but carrying things back is a little hard on me now.  Also is quite time consuming.

The car goes to a shop Tuesday and he said it would take a day but I'm not counting on that.

I don't know anything about this shop or mechanic.  It was a random choice.

In the meantime, if having the car issues and the tooth issue was not enough, some lady in town here has begun a crusade to force all cats inside and "dispose of" any found outside.  Her big plan is to force cat owners to license their cats and the license fees would pay for a full time cat killer position.  You know, someone who rounds up and "disposes of" any cat found outside.  That's quite the incentive to pay a license fee on a cat, that the money will be used to kill other cats.

It's not well thought through, on her part, as we have nowhere in this town to hold cats, as is required by Oregon law, for five days for owner to find them.  We have nowhere in town set up to kill hundreds of cats, and as required by Oregon law, it must be done humanely and by a certified euthanasia tech.  She found one pile of cat shit in her gravel area.  She's pointing to it in a photo in the paper and sadly for her, its right by a bunch of trailers she has parked on her property in violation of city code, which requires trailers to be 17 feet from the sidewalk and parked on cement or asphalt, not gravel or grass.  Now she claims she's retired and has lots of time to write up new laws for Albany that will no doubt cost taxpayers money and control their lives.  Wow.  Just what we need here.

This, combined with the fried car in my driveway, the throbbing tooth, got to me somewhat last night.

So today---no news reading or watching for me, limited phone use too.  For my mental health.

But here are some kitty photos!







7 comments:

  1. At least that woman is not part of the legislature. Unfortunately, they sometimes pass laws that are about as well thought out as her proposal. Good idea. Stay away from the news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, which is a bit scary to think about. No news today. Much happier when I'm uninformed.

      Delete
  2. I do hope that you car and tooth woes can be solved quickly. And that woman finds a new band wagon to jump on.
    Sometimes the news DOES get to be too much. Hooray for stepping away for a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, let's hope she finds something else to do with her time. Something productive that doesn't kill innocent lives or cost taxpayers.

      Delete
    2. Or that she is totally ineffectual and doesn't give people with power any more ideas.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous5:07 PM

    Too much time on her hands. Start a blog, you silly woman. Here we have a couple of local government areas where cats aren't allowed out at night to protect small native animals. I am not sure of the penalty or if the cat isn't owned and registered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my dear, I wish people like that didn't exist. The world needs more like *you* and I wish it treated you better. ~hugs~ I really hope things improve. And thank you for the photos.

    ReplyDelete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...