Wednesday, November 20, 2019

The Ten Cats Fixed Monday

Well, here are photos of the ten cats fixed Monday.

Four were from Sweet Home, the River Road colony, and six were from Lebanon, a mom and her five kittens.   In that group of six, there was only one boy, so that is a catastrophe averted there.

Lily, the black mom

Arrow, the one boy kitten

Sprinks, a black tux girl kitten

Sassy, a girl kitten

Jinx, a black and white girl kitten

Valentine, another black and white girl kitten

Bubba is an awesome huge male from the River Road Sweet Home colony

Brownie is a big adult female

Spotty is also a girl

Tinsel is a girl too
I returned these ten yesterday.  When trying to get to the River Road colony, the railroad crossing arms were stuck down with the lights flashing and I couldn't get across the river that way.  Traffic was backed up and I sat there awhile in the left turn lane and finally decided to drive up to the dam and cross over at the dam.

On the way home, rather exhausted, after cleaning the traps at the River Road colony, once empty, I stopped at the Egg Place.  Karen had reservations at the FCCO again.  Why not, I thought.  Why not use them and get more fixed, I can do this.  I cleared my dead tired brain as best I could.  Buck up, I told myself.

I already had two cats to go, to fill her 8 spots, a kitten and an adult from the River Road colony, plus the tame torti and the tame gray tabby kittens from the Egg Place, who were also going to the FCCO, but to board the Kitten Caboose, where they get fixed, if tame enough and under six months of age, and then move on to Oregon Humane to be adopted.  So in all ten more local cats would be fixed.

The cats swarmed me at the Egg Place, hungry, so it was hard to selectively trap for females, whom I wanted to get fixed first.  I set up the largest trap with lots of food in the back, and a water bottle to hold up the door and my line tied around it.  I wanted adult females.   But as luck would have it, the swarming was overwhelming, so we set up another trap with a bottle and string the caretaker lady had, but one or two went in after knocking the bottle out.  Caught a massive male in a small trap.  He's a good candidate anyhow, I thought.  Get those hormones on the way out!  Then I saw another massive male who looked just like him.  Next time, I thought.  A gray male, young, was so adamant about going in and eating, I let him spring it and took him.  A brown tabby of unknown sex went in, instead of a young muted torti so I took him or her anyhow.  We shoved a tame adult torti into a trap.  And caught two other muted torti's, one an adult who looked pregnant, the other young.  And lastly, I yanked the cord to pull the bottle out from under the door of another trap.  Inside was a sickly kitten who had been eating in there the last half hour.  He's getting a new life, I thought, and he's in my bathroom right now and tamed instantly.
This sweet little guy will be here til next week

So they are all getting fixed today, all ten of them.  I drove them up to Portland last night.  And, turns out, four of them, including the gray tabby kitten from River Road, the young muted torti freshly caught, plus the two I'd had a couple days, the torti and gray tabby, all made it aboard the Kitten Caboose.  The most awesome thing is Karen got an appointment to take the adult tame torti to OHS in a week, so she'll stay with her instead of going back to the overwhelmed Egg Place folk.

This is the sweet gray tabby girl from the Egg  Place and the gray tabby girl, smaller, from River Road.  Both boarded the Kitten Caboose today.

Of the ten being fixed today, I will only pick up five of them in Wilsonville this evening.

Already, Karen got five kittens, four from Egg Place and one from River Road, into OHS.  She's a go getter and we appreciate it down here.   Today, four more kittens will get a chance through the FCCO's Kitten Caboose and OHS.  It's really overwhelming to think these little kittens from the far out places of our county will get the help of these large groups to get great homes. 






6 comments:

  1. You are amazing. I am so happy to read that some will go to a shelter instead of back to the colony. I wish all could be so lucky, but I know many are too feral.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, its quite wonderful. It's Karen in Portland who got them in, four Wednesday through the kitten caboose and then five previously into foster with Oregon Humane.

      Delete
  2. You rock. This is amazing teamwork, too, which you richly deserve. ~hugs~ Take care, my dear, of yourself as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to have some help, very nice indeed!

      Delete
  3. They are all beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

FCCO Trip on Half Decent Day

 Yesterday, early morning, I headed to FCCO with ten cats from the Scravel colony.   I don't get any records with the FCCO.  They are se...