Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Jetson Be Gone

I named the black teen, from that Lebanon colony, Jetson.

He should be long gone but he's still here.   I went and got him over a week ago, same day I trapped Pirate, the injured throat boy.  I thought the folks who wanted to adopt him would come the next day.  But they've put it off. I thought they'd come Monday evening to get him, just after he was fixed, but no.  Then I thought it would be yesterday, at the least.  No again. Now they say today.  Its a great home though, for him.  When they can come and get him.

 It causes me great stress because I don't do adoptions, and have no room for extra cats here, nor time on my hands to care for them.  So I stress over it and worry they won't come ever to get him and then what do I do since we have no real options for cats here in the county where I live.  It's up to private people to find homes for strays and help them.

Its just difficult on me to have even one extra cat here. I have five extra cats here right now.  Three are from that Lebanon colony, which could be the death of me, if I give in to its depressive hopelessness, but I won't.

I'm just a little stressed, is all.  I'll take Pirate home tomorrow.  If you can call that junk heap he came from a home, where, if they think about it, maybe they'll pour out a line of dry cat food along the soggy dirty sidewalk for the cats.  Returning cats to such a place really causes me terrible stress.  But I don't have another place for Pirate to go.  He's not tame.  Cats don't care about junk though.  In fact a junk yard gives them lots of hiding and sleeping spots.  Eyesores are species specific.  If they'd just feed them more routinely, it'd be just fine.
Pirate's wound is healing well, dried out and soon new skin will cover the area.

Both boys seem very content in the side by side cages but this is nine days now, they've been confined. That can't be fun.  Pirate almost looks dreamy, cuddled into a soft blankee on the shelf in his cage.  Gunnie is not as comfortable looking.  He seems worried and he has to wait the longest to go home.  I'm going to try to find a sooner option than December 4.  Pirate can go home anytime, really.  I had hoped to get all boys fixed there before he goes.  There is one more that I know of, and a couple across the street.  I want the fighting to stop around there among the males, is why.  They hurt each other.  Be awhile before it stops even after they're all fixed.


Around here, people are flooding in, moving here from all over.  We're getting yuppified.  As the poorer people can't pay rents or property taxes, they lose their place to live, properties get bulldozed and turned into middle class or even upper class homes, and then property taxes go even higher as cities try to pay for all the services needed for all these new people flooding in and things get even worse.  I can't see how this will all play out well in the end.  I"m old and I worry too because there's nowhere someone on my income could ever find a place to rent, unless it was a storage shed, or something like that.  I hope my brother who owns this place stays healthy and outlives me, I think to myself at night.

When I was headed to the clinic with the cats Monday, the traffic just off the freeway to the clinic was a nightmare.  It's gotten worse and worse.  Can take 15 minutes to go half a mile, through two stoplights.   Once at the clinic, we in line to check in cats heard a muted thud, clear inside.  A white SUV, guy driving, his two young kids in car seats in the back, smashed into the back of a brand new Audi, the guy who went out to look to see what happened came back and told us.  He was already admitting he'd been distracted, by his kids in the back. That was on the road just outside the clinic.  His SUV front end was crunched up.  He stood outside, a kid in one arm, cell phone in the other hand, and I felt sorry for him. The car was toast.  I didn't look to see how bad the Audi rear end was crunched.

Too many people.  Too many people driving up rents and taxes to pay for services like cops and fire folks and schools and etc etc.  Too many people crowding the roads in cars trying to go to work. Too many delivery trucks taking Amazon crap directly to every person's door now too.

So you look at the rambling broken down blue tarped roof junk filled yard house with all the cats in Lebanon where the lady just wants you to sit outside on a wobbly old chair and drink coffee with her and you think to yourself maybe she's found the life.  She's not slamming herself to pieces on some mission of her own making, now that she's retired.  She's sitting in her bathrobe and sandals and holding a cat.  She's not making her yard or house picture perfect like a photo on a magazine cover no one will ever buy because they're so darn busy and stressed out and angry.  Just a thought.

So yeah, I've been trying to find the Lebanon colony tame ones homes.  They don't want them.   Jetson is the 8th cat removed from there. 

Once he's gone and Pirate goes back, then I still have Gunnie from the Lebanon place, who needs a dental, and the fastest appointment for that is still over a month away.   I can whine about the time I'm waiting for that dental for him, but think about the fact I am waiting til mid December, to get one cavity filled, at my so called dental office.  Months, to get one cavity filled and another month after that to get the second filled.   So at least its quicker for cats, by a long shot, to get in, than for a human like me.

I returned the 14 wild ones yesterday to their three colonies.   The smell in the car from all those dirty traps nearly over powered me.  Once out beyond Sweet Home, to that colony, I went into the couple's house after releasing the cats at the empty trailer across the road, where she feeds them and nearly collapsed after a few minutes, because it was like 90 degrees inside the house.  She said her husband is always very cold.

I'm still doing laundry and need to clean those traps to be ready for another weekend at it again.   I didn't get any reservations, however in November, so thankfully I get time off, a little time off, as I do have some garnered appointments now and then during the month.  I have no plans for Thanksgiving, as usual, and this year, I'm happy about that.

I'm still trying to find a place for the two Hill street girls.  For now they're having a ball free roaming the cat disneyland going on here, with all the cat runs, and cat trees and cat rooms and cat yard.  Yeah, the cats all love it here, if I let them loose which makes it a bit hard to find homes for them where they're happy.

It's pretty out there, quite the view, up where those cats are being fed, who were left behind


I haven't seen many pretty fall colors this year.  Perhaps because there's been so much rain, very little nice weather to be out and check out the colors.  There's one very pretty yellow tree, or was one, at Waterloo park








8 comments:

  1. Thank you for all you do. Today and everyday. I am very sorry that people make a hard job even harder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I just get tired then I complain, that's all. It's all good.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous3:04 PM

    Good to hear Pirate is healing well. Such pretty photos of a really nice view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish there had been safe places to stop on the drive up the mountain to that place. There were such pretty views and scenes, but no pull offs.

      Delete
  3. I was in a traffic jam today caused b a guinea hen who was running all over the road. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that is funny. We have those too, as people stop for ducks and their line of ducklings to cross. I always think its kind of beautiful, that people so busy and hurried, are so happy to stop and let a mother duck and her babes cross. Then everyone seems to feel better after that.

      Delete
  4. What a view! I am sorry that's the only positive here. Well... except for your amazing attitude. ~nods~ Those overall deteriorating conditions for the average citizen break my heart. Best wishes to you and all these darlings. You're an amazing human being. ~hugs~ As for fall colors, we got more than I expected after a super dry summer. I figured leaves would just turn brown and drop but here and there are some real gems. Take care, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think spay neuter of the human population may be in order, lol. Too many of us. we're now supposed to get a streak of decent weather so I'm happy and hope to find some fall colors still out there.

      Delete

Dashing

 Got a message this morning.  Was I even really awake yet?   The weather has been really winterish, with winds, pouring rain, cold, even thu...