Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Five More Fixed Yesterday

Slowing down I guess.   Only took five to be fixed yesterday.
'
Two of the cats, one from the Knox Butte Colony and one wild one from the Lebanon Sisters colony, took, in total over 5 hours to catch.   Both were the last wild cat needing caught at their respective colonies.  In each case, I put massive amounts of food under the drop trap and then sat back in my car, for hours, waiting for the cat I wanted to catch, to show up.  In each case, I had to "reload" the bait over and over again, as dozens of hungry cats ate their fill, wandered off, and came back to eat even more.

Crocs, the little black tux teen from the Knox Butte colony, turned out to be an in heat girl so I was happy I waited her out.


At the Lebanon Sisters colony, another 2 1/2 hours for Twinkie, the last wild one there not yet fixed, to show up.

Twinkie was also in heat when spayed yesterday.

Twinkie is fixed now
Angel Face, who was fixed a few weeks back


Cats eating under the drop trap while I wait for Twinkie to show up


Long fixed older Siamese girl 
Another long fixed older gal




Gracie, another young orange and white girl, was fixed yesterday also from the Lebanon Sisters colony.  I'm down to two adults needing fixed at the Sisters colony.  Both are still nursing females.   However, they still have an unknown number of kittens inside.  They are cagey about the number and no longer will let me in to see them.  There were 17 kittens at one point, but I don't know how many are still living.  They still refuse to relinquish any of them, even though some are now seven weeks of age.  If still alive that is.  I'm very happy I found this colony because otherwise it would have resulted in massive suffering, even if all the females I got fixed already had had just one litter this summer.   As it is, six females had litters.   All four of one litter died.   Three survived in each of two litters, or at least had the last time I was allowed to check, five were born to another mother and six to another, although one of those died.  The sixth litter is a mystery, as the mom is wild and nobody has seen them.  I've looked as many places as I can out there for them.  I've taken now 27 cats to be fixed from there, I think it is.  There were about 20 already fixed cats there.  With 17 kittens in the house, or who knows how many have survived actually, but if all did, and with two adult females still needing fixed plus one male, who is still too sick to be fixed, that is 67 cats there.  In a house where they can't afford four cats and without a working washing machine to keep bedding or even their own clothes clean.  Only about 7 of the cats are wild.  The rest are tame.  The only thing I can actually do about the situation is stop the breeding.
The other two fixed, also from Lebanon, were two boys, Charlie and Sebastian.

Charlie

Sebastian
In the park yesterday, it was snowing pollen from Cottonwood trees.
And if you think there are not plenty of more cats needing fixed, I'll leave you with some big boys facing off a few blocks from my place.  I broke up the fight and also talked to the neighbors behind me.  One of them was theirs.  I have asked them over and over to get that boy fixed and offered to take him in also, but it seems pointless.  There were four males there fighting in one driveway.  The Siamese, who belongs to the neighbors behind me, the black tux, a big black one, not in the photos and then the buff tabby.



2 comments:

  1. Wow! You're awesome, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another very productive day. Waiting for those girls was worth it. They would have been pregnant by now if you hadn't, with the suffering that would have caused for them and for their babies. Thank you for all you do.

    ReplyDelete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...