Tuesday, March 12, 2019

22 Cat Couple of Days

It was one of those weekends!

22 cats and kittens helped in 2 days.

I had seven reservations and I'd agreed to help a Salem woman trap too.  She had ten reservations yesterday of her own for her colony.  She is elderly (85) and says she's only recently been experiencing health issues, with her blood pressure going sky high suddenly.

When I talked to her later about it, because I can't help myself, I always want to "fix" everything, I discovered her health problems began with a bp medication switch.  The one she was on was one now vilified due to contaminants that are possibly cancer causing, from China.  She was switched to something else when that came out and has had nothing but problems since then.

I suggested to her she ask her doctor if she can switch back to what she was on before because it worked and didn't cause her all these problems that have landed her in the hospital repeatedly the last few weeks.  And after all, she's 85, and it takes time for tiny amounts of contaminants in a med to cause cancer so it probably wouldn't affect her at her age.

Well anyhow, I went up there Sunday morning.  Frosty out, fields white with it.  Beautiful property on Salem's eastern outskirts.  Cats were everywhere.  The renter in the barn had already caught four.  There they sat, uncovered in traps.  She'd only been able to borrow six from whs.  I quickly covered them and put them into my car.

She said the two young Siamese were tame.  There was a tiny torti too.   I scooped up two tame kittens with URI's, who otherwise would not stay out of traps.   I soon had twelve cats in the car, ten for fixing, and the two tame kittens.  I"d texted Heartland Humane in Corvallis to see if they could take the kittens.  Immediately they responded "yes".   First however, I stopped in at the home of a Meow Village volunteer and showed her the tame Siamese and torti and she said bring them in.  So I did.  She took on the two Siamese, a little black female and the little torti.   Now I just had the two tame boy kittens and six for her ten reservations.

I headed straight back to the colony, to fill those four now empty traps and quickly did too. I trapped two more on the front porch, one on the back porch and one in the barn.  She hadn't wanted any of the cats to return.   I already had found places for six.  After leaving her place, I drove to Heartland Humane in Corvallis where they took the two boy kittens.

Heartland took in the long hair smoke boy and his buddy the mackerel tabby.
Meow Village took in a very young sweet black girl, the tiny torti and two Siamese sisters.

One of the two sisters Meow Village took.  They're very tame and sweet.
The seed warehouse down between Brownsville and Lebanon caught three, over a day.


Dakota, an adult torbi, one of three fixed from the seed warehouse

Ryely, a young muted torbi tux, also fixed.

Seedy, a little boy, from the seed warehouse.
I had the chicken colony folks trapping again as there are still six needing caught and fixed there but they only caught one more all weekend.  They caught Smokey, a boy.

Smokey
The Lebanon RV lady failed again to get the last male contained.  She still had my carrier so I swung by to pick it up.  There were police on the block again, not unusual there.  I was so tired by this time and knew I was going to be short one cat for my own 7 reservations.  A deputy was talking to people down from the RV but I saw a tabby run under the car where the officer was doing something, not sure what.  I was on unfixed cat hunting auto pilot by then, and headed right for that tabby and the man the officer was speaking with.   "Is that your tabby and does he need fixed?" I gesture beneath the car.  "Nope he's taken care of," the man says, "but I got two young ones sure need it."  A woman takes my offered carrier and heads into a junk surrounded ramshackle place, but never comes out with the cats.  Finally a guy somehow associated comes to my car and says they ran off.   I tell him "next week then?"  "Sure," he says.  Finally they bring back out my carrier and I drive off, down the next street over where three county sheriff SUV's are at another place.   I see a cat beside that place but think better of stopping.

I pick up a stray girl that lives outside the place where I got four fixed last week or two weeks ago, I can't remember when now.  My brain's not recovered yet.   There are boys there too, living outside, but I'll need to trap them and I don't have extra traps or time so I just take her.   I round off the five I've got up to six with a Tangent girl, a torti, Princess.   And settle for going one short.

Salt, a girl from Lebanon, fixed yesterday.

Princess, a Tangent girl, fixed yesterday
I head to the clinic yesterday morning with 16 cats.  Ten from the Salem colony and six I've rounded up besides.  Already I had taken 4 Salem colony tame young ones to Meow Village and 2 others to Heartland.  That's 22 cats helped in two days time.

Here are the ten from the Salem colony who went.  But, I have only three to return to the woman today because my friend took four of them, right from the clinic parking lot after they were fixed and Meow Village took three more girls to place in a barn home.   How do you like that? 

First, here are the four who headed off to Yamhill county:
Checkers, a little girl

Jeeves, a black tux boy

Jocelyn, a torti point Siamese girl

Astro, a young black male
Meow Village took on these three girls, to place in a barn home:

Hansa, a long hair girl, very young, she cried in fear when heading up to the clinic to be fixed. Tore my heart out.

Beanie, the older of the three females who stayed with Meow Village for barn placement

Skippy, who is Hansa's sister, a little mackerel tabby tux girl

Here are the three I will return today to the property.  They are all girls too:

Azure.  Isn't she beautiful?

Jasmine

Pyewacket, a sweet very large female
There are still a few to be caught at the colony.  I saw a long hair chocolate point male, a couple of tabbies, a red tabby, a black, a black tux long hair......who knows how many others, but she has 13 fewer cats than she did have and the three I will take back now all fixed!




More eagles out near the seed warehouse where some of the cats fixed yesterday are from.

Eating what is left of a dead nutria



2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's amazing, 22 cats in such a short amount of time!

    I was surprised to see the eagle eating nutria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many eagles in the valley now, they are scrounging for anything.

      Delete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...