Monday, February 25, 2019

The Snowstorm That Happened

Really hard to believe the weather people on the news after two major predicted snowstorms didn't come.

They were very muted about the latest predictions, maybe embarrassed about getting things so wrong before?   But this one came, sort of.  We were to get 2 to 4 inches here and didn't. What we got was wet and slushy and awful.  Nothing to write home about.

Eugene got deluged however and farther south---forget about it, power outages, freeway closures, trees down, up to a foot some places. 

I didn't know if snow would come or not.  These events are always Sunday nights and Monday mornings, the very days I trap then transport to the clinic.   Why?

Oh well, I thought, and sighed.  I figured it would be fine.

And it was.  I collected four cats from one place in Lebanon and four from another.  The second location is a woman living in an RV.  I first heard about her last summer.  A Eugene group took out several cats, moms and kittens I think and tried to get others to help her.  I tried, but she didn't answer her phone, moved from park to park, sometimes losing cats in the parks, or would say I could get some to be fixed that weekend and then vanish.   But she called me this time.

She is now parked in a Lebanon driveway.  The first four, three boys and a girl, now fixed and in my garage recovering.

She had 13 in all needing fixed.  Now she has nine unfixed ones.

Cuddlebug.  She thought Cuddlebug was a girl, but he's a crypt orchid "he".  He also had a bite wound which was treated and he got a long lasting antibiotic injection.
Romeo, another all black mal e, was fixed,too.

Prince, a big black tux long hair also now fixed.

Funny Face is very young but had pyometria, an infected uterus and also got a convenia injection.  Good thing she went in.
So with 8 cats in the garage awaiting surgery, and another couple meeting me there with a cat from Turner, I sure hoped I could make it to the clinic this morning.  I went to bed at 7:00, so I could wake up early morning and check conditions.  At 3:00 a.m. when I got up, there was just a dusting of extremely wet snow.   I kept checking road cams and eye witness road reports on facebook and it looked fine to me.

I loaded the cats and struck out in my car and roads were just fine, too.  Just slushy icky dirty remnant snow on the roads and beside the roads.  The worst kind for just making a person who loves snow turn away in disgust.


Clinic Parking lot this morning






By noon, there was not much left.

Here are the other four cats from Lebanon who went today.  They are a mom and her three teens.

Faith, the mom

Her girl, Hamburger

She has two boys, this is Chicken

And this is Bacon.
The 9th cat who went is from Turner.  Midnight.  All black too. Does that surprise you?


I was happy I did go, and didn't cancel due to forecasts.  This is the third time I've ignored them completely or dozed through weather news and never even suspected, thank goodness.

Also there was a bit of other cat drama over the weekend.  KATA, a Sweet Home area cat adoption group, told me an Albany man had 11 unfixed cats in his camp trailer and didn't want any of them.  I wondered why they were telling me.  They're the adoption group, not me.

Nonetheless, I contacted Heartland Humane and they agreed immediately to take six.  So I took them six.  Then I took a 7th up to CAFA, a Salem group, yesterday.  So seven are out of there at least.

 After returning the mom and three teens to their people this evening, I took a bag of cat food and a bag of canned cat food to another woman living in a Lebanon camp trailer.  Same place a year ago, myself and another woman trapped over 20 cats and kittens and got them out of there, but she wanted to keep her cats but I got them all fixed. The old woman who owned the falling down house and that all these people were living off of has died, but its still a homeless camp there, RV's makeshifts, all kinds of bleak dwellings.  Periodically she messages she needs cat food, always in the middle of the night.   So I took some over.  She came to the door of the decrepit old junked out falling apart tiny camp trailer barefoot, her feet swollen and red and I could tell how cold she was.  I didn't know what to say except, "Looks pretty cold in there".  No heat, damp, cramped, miserable.   I gave her the cat food.  Two of her cats had heard my voice and came out from under that trailer to my feet, knowing I'd probably have wet food somewhere.  I went back to my car and scrounged a few more cans and a dish and put it out for them.  I saw three cats gobbling it as I left.


At least I've not been sitting in a train that hit a downed tree for 24 hours as these Amtrak travelers have been doing, near Oakridge, where there is two feet of snow.Read about it here.

8 comments:

  1. All I can say is, Oh My Goodness! How can people treat animals the way these people do? God Bless you for taking the time to trap them, bring them in for medical treatment and getting fixed and bringing food to the poor animals.
    I raised three litters of planned, rather rare wire-haired dachshunds. (More common in Germany). I had buyers for them before they were even born. I had bred these pups to bring the breed of dachshund to this country. I also had a provision in the contract that the pup would be returned to me if the dog was no longer wanted. Each dog was microchipped and tattooed as well.
    But to leave an animal unfixed and spewing out however many litters is terrible!
    We had an old farm for many years and people just dumped their kittens in our barn. We had a great country Vet who told us to bring them in and he fixed them for free and we brought them home to the barn and fed them for the rest of their lives.
    Again Strayer, God Bless you for your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Maribeth. For a brief time, years ago, I worked for a dog kennel, just cleaning. The couple also bred Giant Schnauzers. I fell in love with their three dogs. They, like you, were extremely responsible and bred a litter only when they had enough adopters, and they were extremely picky, so it could be once every two years. I don't know what is wrong with people who behave as so many do, without even minimal care for their alleged beloveds.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know that you had it so much better in Albany than we did down here in Eugene. The official tally was eleven inches, but Peggy went around our yard poking a ruler in the snow and came up with ten. Still, it's a heck of a lot, and it's still there. What I didn't understand about it was how our two outdoor thermometers could read in the upper thirties, yet the snow was fluffy and it stuck. I REALLY don't understand that--do you? Oh well, at least it wasn't an ice storm. Despite living near downtown, our electricity has twice gone out for a period of days due to ice, the longest outage being six days during which we and my many potted plants moved into the living room and ran our gas fireplace insert. Without it, we would have probably gone to a motel.

    With respect for all you do,
    Snowbrush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I didn't realize Eugene had that much. I knew some places did around Eugene. I've seen facebook photos of highway 58 towards Oakridge and that is unbelievable. Deep snow. Trees down everywhere, over the road. Going to take awhile to clear all those trees, and probably private people going out with their chainsaws. That is pretty isolating because there isn't much up there, as far as supplies. I do not understand snow or how it remains, when its above freezing. Maybe the ground temp is much lower and keeps it frozen from below?

      Delete
    2. We got another 3-4 inches last night, at least in my yard. I was just out shoveling it.

      Delete
    3. Oh my gosh, Snow, you really got hit down there.

      Delete
  3. It's so sad to hear about cats and humans living in bad circumstances. You have reminded us that we need to look beyond our own little circles to find and help people in need of the very basics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, also makes me feel very very lucky to have a roof over my head and heat.

      Delete

Ten Extras

 I have ten extra cats in my garage. Nine are in traps, just brought over from the Scravel colony.    They are almost all orange tabbies, wi...