Saturday, February 23, 2019

The Rock, The Cat and The Car

Some days.

I felt like a vegetable yesterday.  Just to start out the day, too.  That's not good.

Groggy and soggy.

I felt like a piece of deep green moss in a dormant Oregon lawn that has soaked up all the moisture it can in months of rain and wants to scream but has no way to do that and just has to lay there and take it.

Nonetheless.....

Life goes on.

When I took Bubba home yesterday morning, not only did I see another massive black male with a torn ear, but as I was staring in disbelief, that there was yet another male needing caught on this block of cats, I spotted a little Siamese kitten come out from the back and try to grab some dry food and run for it, because the big black male was right there and he was scary looking.


Bubba had raced around like a silly kitten when first released and even Bubba didn't want to have words with this black male.  He took off down the block.

I left a set trap and told her I hope you catch that kitten.

She did!  By late afternoon.  After I'd had dozed for two hours in one of my zero gravity lounge chairs that are so very comfortable.

That little kitten is darling.  She had her in a carrier by then.  Very small too and where in the world did she come from.


Very scared.  Very hungry too.

After picking her up, I headed up to the park, to feed the boys up there.   They were both waiting.  As I was leaving the parking lot, I stopped in disbelief.  There, 30 feet away, was a new cat in the park.   No, I thought.   Gosh darn.  A buff tux.

Briefly, through my mind, flirted the possibility it could be Sonar.  Sonar was retrapped when the park hosts left who had bred and fed the cats in the park, leaving them all on their own, lots of cats too.   I was angry and had to find somewhere for them to go.  Another nonprofit took three boys and an adult female.  They housed them on their property, which is only about 8 miles from the park I'd say, if that, but only kept them in containment four days.   They were never seen again after release.  This had been very hard to bear when it happened.  Ever since I've thought maybe they would make it back to the park.

I needed a picture of this latest cat in the park, to see if he or she had a right ear tip.  If tipped, it might be Sonar, I thought.

I got my camera out to take a photo but the cat was running by now for the brush.

I tried to back up fast to see where he was headed, and get that photo, and I forgot the parking lot is lined in big huge rocks.  My curved reverse curled me around the rock beside me and up onto it.  There was a horrible scraping sound and I felt the car jump upwards.

I got out and looked.  I was caught, under rear passenger side door, up on that rock, which was sloped on the side under the car, allowing my poor car to slide up its side then lodge.



Oh shoot.

I called a few folks, considered using my door jack to try to get it off, but that door jack is so flimsy and can only work hooked just under the door.  It's base is narrow and I couldn't find anything flat and hard I might support it with, on the wet ground.

I called Vicki at KATA to sob out my frustration and she offered to take the kitten.  She sent a volunteer, who then stayed there, as it got dark, until my friend Dean came up from Albany.   In the meantime, we saw a black cat also.  There may be two new cats in the park.

A guy had come by in a pickup.  I'd asked him to help me get it off, but he just laughed at my predicament and walked off, then left.

But Dean came, with a big jack, on rollers, and lights, because by now it was dark.  It was hydraulic, and easily lifted the car from the rear, then we pushed on the car, from the side, once it was above the rock, and the jack fell over as the car moved.  We did it once more and the car was off the rock.  Whew!   I was so relieved and grateful to Dean.   He just had a hip replacement!

The "decorative strip" of plastic below the passenger side doors is rather damaged, only in that the plastic clips holding it on broke.  It will be fine.

The kitten is with KATA which is absolutely wonderful  for her.   And when I checked my camera, I did have a photo of the cat as it began to race towards the brush.



10 comments:

  1. Here you are doing a good deed and bad stuff happens. No fair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, no fair. Thanks for saying that. Somehow it helps!

      Delete
  2. I feel your pain about the rock. Living in NH, I was driving home in the dark when a rock "jumped out" and caught a tire. That was 33 years ago and my husband still reminds me of it. I just got a little too close! Eeek! Sadly it gave me a flat.
    The picture of the little kitten looks like a Siamese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes its a darling little Siamese, that kitten. I've heard from several people who have lodged over rocks. I've scraped a rock too before with my tire, or a curb, resulting in a sidewall flat, and those can't be repaired. But your husband still reminds you of your rock encounter 33 years ago? My goodness. Someone needs to let things go!

      Delete
  3. I tore part of my front fender off once on a rock. It could have been prevented, but in my defense it was dark and hard to see. Glad you got off the rock without more damage. A lot of stuff happens to you in the line of duty. I think most people have no idea what you go through to rescue cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably most people don't have any idea there are even so many cats out there in need of help, let alone the trials and tribulations people like myself go through attempting to help them. Hey, once I backed out of my driveway, which kind of slopes down to the street, and is very dark, and when I took off down the street I heard some sort of noise. I stopped and got it and saw that I was dragging my rear bumper. It had caught coming down the driveway on the corner of a plant box and popped off. Fortunately, with these plastic bumpered cars, like mine, I could just pop it back on. They're designed to do that.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous2:03 PM

    Passion for what you do overcame your careful nature. I am sure you were very self critical after the event but we all muck up at times. Good that you had a friend to help. Not so good the lack of kindness by strangers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the guy didn't seem too bright so I am probably fortunate he took off, just guy giggling. Yes, I mucked up and it was embarrassing but at least the park wasn't full of people to see it happen. That guy was the only one who happened by, thank goodness.

      Delete
  5. Oh, you poor dear. What a jerk. ~shakes head~ I am glad your car didn't get seriously damaged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother says guys act that way when they don't know how to help and I don't think he did. Makes sense.

      Delete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...