Thursday, February 28, 2019

Birds

In the winter, typically, the bird population changes.  Usually in the winter, I see sparrows, finches, chickadees and Oregon Juncos.


Also the Scrub Jays are here, as they are all year around.

Besides the valley being full of eagles this time of year, usually we count one sign of spring when we see Vultures return to the valley.

Oregon Junco



Scrub Jay


White Crowned Sparrow

The park is still full of snow.  I went up again today.  The snow fell again this morning but had stopped by the time I got to the park.



The snow will be gone very soon.   We did not get much here in Albany, just a couple inches that is long gone from the roads.   But there is still lots of snow in Lebanon and farther up towards the mountains and also farther south.   Oakridge, which is up east of Eugene, finally got power again, but only to parts of town and Highway 58 and many other Oregon highways are still closed, still covered in snow and fallen trees.  Clean up might take awhile.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:24 PM

    The scrub jay is quite a pretty bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty but also known for killing the young of smaller birds or eating the eggs. They are not very well loved by other birds, that is for sure.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed seeing the western versions of several birds. They are similar but different to what I see here in the east. We got a little snow last night. Not enough to cause any cancellations, but enough to cause a lot of accidents on the roads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been a lot of accidents, but maybe fewer than there might have been if there was less snow since many many highways and roads were closed due to fallen trees.

      Delete
  3. We're due for more snow tonight. Seems the snow starts on your coast and ends up over on my coast! I am so ready for Spring! Send me some okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem that way this winter. If we get spring, and everyone longs for it, I'll send it your way too!

      Delete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...