Friday, December 21, 2018

Tie Dyed

I have a new hobby.

It came about partly because it creates cheap clothing.   What's not to like about replacing some of my worn out, stained, holey T shirts with brightly colored ones, for almost nothing?

You can buy a five pack of white T shirts for under $20.

Then turn them into these.....





Tie dye is easy and fun.   I already had some bottles of RIT dye.  I mix them, a quarter cup dye, to half T salt to a cup hot water in squirt bottles. I label the bottles with the color in it.  After scrunching or swirling or accordion folding up a wet T-shirt, and securing the folds or swirls with rubber bands, I squirt dyes into squares or triangles, wrap it in plastic wrap, microwave it for a couple minutes, then let it sit several hours.  Then I rinse and wash.

If you were born in Oregon, as I was, you have likely done tie dye.   If not, what's wrong with you?

Being on break from cat round ups because spay neuter space is non existent currently during the holidays isn't that easy for someone used to going full out to get things done.

I went to the park yesterday.  Water levels were higher than they have been.  We've had lots of rain, but it is the Corp of Engineers who determine how much water will be in the river below the two dams.





9 comments:

  1. I remember tye-dying. And haven't done it in years.
    Love those colours.
    And oh, that park is lovely. Serene and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it again, EC. It's just plain fun. And you never really know how it will look in the end.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:40 PM

    School years, tye-dying tee shirts and I think once a male sarong. Great fun. Now you have to get the wax out.

    So it is not natural river flow. How is it judged as to how much water should be released from the upper dam? At least one bad flood has happened here when very poor judgement was exercised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question on how they judge how much to release from Green Peter, the upper dam, then Foster, the lower, to manage water, to avoid flooding. Probably years and years of experience go into that job.

      Delete
    2. And eventually valley rivers end up in the Willamette River, that then flows north to dump into the Columbia, lots of dams along rivers that end up in the Willamette and nobody wants the Willamette to flood, nor the Columbia.

      Delete
  3. Your shirts are so fun. I think it is time to do tie-dying again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine what you would create! Do it!

      Delete
  4. Nice! One of my favorite shirts (purchased) of yore was in shades of purple and blue with sea creatures all over the tie-dyed background. I wore that one to rags, for sure. Tie one on for me! ~giggle~ Be well, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send me your address, size, and I will tie one on for you.

      Delete

Green Peter Drawdown Video

  A video made about the Green Peter reservoir drawdown.  Will it help at all?   I don't know.