Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Full Power

I am fully powered in the house again.

I learned a LOT about electricity and all sorts of things in the current hunt.

Circuit 19 hunter!

However, in the end, it turns out the offending elements were on Circuit 23, some of them.  The others were on half of a circuit labeled bath heat, which was a large 220 circuit split. 

It's all good now and everything works once again, and half the outlets in the house are changed out and brand new.  I don't see how some of them had held up over a dozen years, and who knows how much longer than that.  Like this one....they don't make these kind anymore.  They're not legal to sell.



Three neutrals and three hots running through a little piece of plastic made in China and over a decade old.  By years.  Amazing it held up.  A couple of the wires were corroded.   That outlet is now upgraded (or not, because maybe they were made a lot better years and years ago), the wires nutted together and the outlet pigtailed to those nuts.

Same day I got everything going again I went out on the hunt for some kittens, seen twice along a rural road.  A woman was concerned about them out there.  However, it took only a short time to find their "owner", an elderly soul, who actually has 8 unfixed cats.   I'd pulled into that driveway and seen a torti and since one of the kittens seen was orange I figured I'd hit pay dirt.  Sure enough.

There are four wildish kittens from two tame moms.  The whole crew took off for a couple months, and she thought they were gone for good, so she got two more kittens from a neighbor, then the moms with the four not tame by now kittens between them showed up again.   She really only wants to keep the two moms and two tame kittens, but I explained the kittens were a bit old, at over four months, for anyone to tame enough to be house cats.  Anyhow, will get all 8 fixed after the first of the year, at least.

We had a wild and woolly storm blow through in the night, gusts to 45 or so, depends which news station you watch.  Lots of rain.  The coast was hit hardest.  By now, it's warm, for December, almost 50 degrees, and the rain has let up mostly.

A few Mourning Doves were out this morning.



And some cats I haven't posted photos of in some time.  Sam, Slinko and Slurpy.  Sam is an old man now, so Slinko, although he's not young either, has taken over as top male.  Sam tries to stay clear of him or ignore him.   Sam in his old age, likes to be on my lap a lot more than he used to, when he was more interested in charging around and being with his gang.

Slinko is completely inept at cat to cat social relations still.  He does try.
Sam!  Still the Peeman, despite onset of old age.
Slurpy is such a sweet girl.  She and Miss Daisy were best friends.  She used to sleep on the bed with Miss Daisy, me and other cats.  Since Miss Daisy died, she doesn't anymore.  Comet no longer comes onto the bed.  He and Miss Daisy were friends the longest.  Both moved with me here to this house, from Corvallis.  Comet is an old man now too.

11 comments:

  1. HUGE congratulations on your electrical work.
    Love your old cats, and am so grateful that they have a home with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My old farts here? I love them too.

      Delete
  2. So happy that you electric is working again and that it's safer than before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, me too. Actually, the wiring is in excellent shape. There was a broken switch, one loose neutral, and then two outlets on those old junction box type outlets that are now illegal. Both had corroded wires although both worked, but only one hot and one neutral of the six going into it would have had to work for the outlet to work. Anyhow, done!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous4:19 PM

    I am surprised that your electrics were in such poor shape. A decade old is nothing for an electrical fitting not exposed to the elements. So that was 220 volts split into two to make 110v? Interesting that 220v, our standard, comes into your house. Maybe the fitting wasn't designed to take that, or maybe I have the wrong end of the pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very possible, but I moved in here 12 years ago, and I hadn't changed them, so I'm only saying a dozen years minimum. I would guess most are original, i.e. 70's, when the place was built.

      Delete
  4. Is there anything you CAN'T do?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy. There's nothing I won't at least try.

      Delete
    2. There was something I had to kill though, before I killed the power to try to fix the problem and that was my fear of electricity. I also believed I could never understand power circuits and everything that goes along with understanding them, the terminology, the wiring diagrams. So I had to snuff that belief I held out and read up.

      Delete
  5. More good news! Well done. I'm so glad for you, and delighted to see these pretty faces. Nice dove photos, too! They were a bit of a theme for my small wedding, as it turned out. It started when I couldn't find a cake topper I liked back in 1997. I ended up making my own out of my mother's very old music box in the shape of mated doves. Then, once I found my venue (a bed and breakfast), there turned out to be a dove's nest on top of the air conditioning unit. They never flew away even as we celebrated on the porch with a small reception. Thanks for that inadvertent reminder of a lovely day. Be well, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1997, that's when you got married? Long time to be married. I admire people who stay together like that. It's such a skill to do that, I cannot imagine. I am in awe, really, of couples who stay together forever. The dove story is terrific!

      Delete

Back to 7-11

 I already have 3 cats here, waiting for placement from 7-11, with Silverton Cat Rescue barn cat program. The two girls--Eleven and Petunia,...