Thursday, September 06, 2018

The Parking Lot Kittens

I'm attached to Markus and Ziggy.  I trapped both of them in the parking lot a couple weeks back.  Well ten days back I guess it was.   They ate from a dumpster.

I think at least Ziggy has a place to call home as soon as the lady's remodeling is over with.  She's got Scooty, Zig's sister.

Here, they had terrible trouble at first learning to use a litter box.  Was not easy.  I had to remove all bedding from the bedding closet so they would not use it as a litter box.   Finally, exasperated, I bought a box of Cat Attract cat litter and yahoo--came home and they were suddenly using the litter box.  Not an accident since then.

Next it was getting them over loose stool, a process still going on.  They ate garbage and now suddenly are eating high quality kitten dry food, plus wet food.   Last night,  a victory there with some hard stool.

Today I'm taking them to be tested for Feline Aids and Feline Leukemia.  Cross your fingers for them! 

If all goes well, Ziggy may be in a home by next week, with her sister.  As for Markus, he's just waiting on the right placement.  He tamed so fast and is so darn sweet.

Ziggy is shyer than Markus but they're both making huge progress, in just ten days here.


Markus is a goof ball.


There was drama on the block yesterday.  I went outside to water the sunflowers and saw a police SUV out front.  For a minute I thought, "Am I in trouble?  Did I do something I can't remember?"  Then I figured the officer was there using her phone or something.

Then she drove on down to the very end of the cul de sac and began to talk to a woman who came out of the car lot house.   I didn't know what was up and continued watering.  After that, she parked across from my place and got out and went to talk to my neighbors.  Then I wondered, what in the world.  About that time, the older man from the older couple down near the end, came by in his pickup, rolled down the window and said to me, and I'm not sure why because we don't otherwise interact, "We called code enforcement to get rid of all these cars on the street."   Hmmm, I thought, but why is she talking to my neighbors?  They only have two cars.

Turns out she was talking to anyone with a trailer parked in their driveway.   City code only allows that if its farther than 15 feet from the sidewalk and not on the lawn I guess.  There are two trailers, an RV with possibly someone living in it, and a boat and trailer that came under the code.  $2500 fine I think I overheard her tell my neighbor, if these toys aren't moved within 48 hours.  Yikes.,

There was afterwards a lot of scrambling and conversations.  I decided best to stay inside and avoid any conflicts that might go on.  I don't think there was any trouble.  There are trailers and RV's parked in driveways all over town.

Well so it goes.   Summer is certainly leaving fast.  Mornings I can feel autumn's chill already.  Just like that.  I'm trying to finish projects, like painting the outside of the cat yard fence.  Just two sections left now.  I also had to make a new cover for the wood box.  The other one rotted and fell apart.  I made a new one out of an external door I got cheap at Habitat.  Finished that project yesterday.  Trying to fix any gutter leaks too.  I got some of that spray on rubber.  It sure is messy but it works.  Soon I will be buried in fallen leaves again.  The cycle comes around.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad he had the courtesy to tell you what was going on. ~nods~ Best wishes to these sweet boys finding good health and happy homes. You work wonders. Here, it remains so hot and humid I can hardly stand to go outside. I woke up to condensation on the windows yet again, but that's due to the blessing of central A/C, so I'm grateful. ~grin~ Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hot for almost a month here, but otherwise just about right. Smoke in the skies still off and on from forest fires, distant and near. So I can't say its been a pleasant summer, with the smoke and all. The two teens were thankfully negative on Felk and FIV, and also on giardia so its not giardia causing their issues. It was recommended there I get some panacure however and treat them anyhow since there's lots of giardia going around and it kills lots of parasites.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous12:32 PM

    It is interesting that the local authority can tell you what you can park in your own driveway. I don't think there are any such regulations here. Is the purpose behind the rule to stop people living in RVs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is part of it, Andrew, but also safety issues, being able to see, when backing out of driveways onto a street. You can't see if your sight down the street is blocked by a big old trailer. It's the same with fences here, from street to front of house, they can only be 3 feet tall, for safety reasons, when people back out of driveways. Interestingly, the only one of the three RV's trailers that left, moved into storage, was my neighbors trailer. The one that prompted the complaint, down at the end, the people with all the cars, it still sits there, and so does the RV. One person now is paying out to follow the rules while the other two ignore them.

      Delete
  3. Fingers crossed for the vet visits - and furrever homes for both of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Went fine, they're healthy and still waiting. A woman is adopting them but is going through a remodel that then was postponed.

      Delete

Ten Extras

 I have ten extra cats in my garage. Nine are in traps, just brought over from the Scravel colony.    They are almost all orange tabbies, wi...