Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Six Cats Fixed Yesterday

It's been an exhausting but productive few days, I'll say.

Best news?   Finally early this morning, I caught the final kitten behind the bar.  At least I hope its the last one.  Kitten 7.  A black tux boy.  I don't think there is an 8th after all.  I caught mom and kitten six day before yesterday, in an exhaustive effort that included also trapping at two trailer parks while checking bar traps off and on throughout the night.

I would sleep a couple of hours, then go check the trap, then sleep a bit more, check trap, repeat, heat bait to piping hot, add in freshly ground catnip, finally dry, after hanging in my garage a couple of months, try that, to drug mom enough for her to go in a trap.

My catnip crop this year was woeful.  This was largely the fault of two sets of neighbor cats who daily came to trash my cat weed patch.

I don't have a photo of mom yet.  I'm still worn out, and about to go back to bed.  But here are photos of kitten six and kitten seven.

Kitten Six is an all black little girl

Kitten Seven is a little boy
I caught three more cats at the N. Albany trailer park, and that about does it outside of one of her 11 tame kittens, who got out and now is going wild.  So I will probably have to catch that one now too to be fixed.  She has told me since I ran into her that she was trying to get the tame kittens into Safehaven, but they don't have room, she said she was told.   And now, over two months later, she still has not gotten even one of the kittens taken in by Safehaven although she is officially fostering them now for the shelter.  This is because if she fosters her own kittens for them she avoids the intake fee.  It's been over two months, so I wonder if they'll ever take them.  She said they vaccinated them, twice now, and chipped them to their shelter, then sent them back home with her, claiming no space.  That what she says.

I caught the last two outside boys and the last wild kitten.  Now I've gotten three adult females and three adult males fixed there along with three wild kittens, two of whom a friend took in after they were fixed.

AJ was fixed yesterday from the N. Albany trailer park.  He had a neck wound from fighting and required a convenia injection.

Junior was fixed yesterday too

So was Jazz, the last wild kitten.  Jazz too was a boy.
I also trapped at a Riverside Drive trailer park.  Three years ago, I got 23 cats fixed at a trailer where an old woman, who was not very pleasant, fed cats.   She ran me off before I could finish.  Now she's in hospice and her daughter is trying to clean out the trailer and "get rid" of the cats.

I netted two in one filthy bedroom, two already fixed black females I got fixed as kittens three years ago, that she never tamed.  They're still in the garage.

Outside, I trapped four others, one of whom, a little tabby, was already fixed.   The other three, all boys, were fixed yesterday.

Metro, a dark tabby boy, was fixed yesterday.

Tiki, a medium hair gorgeous tabby tux boy, also was fixed.

Wally too was fixed, a shy black tux boy.
During the day, while the six cats were up being fixed, and all I wanted was my bed, because I'd had to check traps at the bar off and on all night too, the daughter of the trailer park woman called and said she'd found two more cats hiding in kitchen cabinets.  Oh shoot, I thought, and dutifully dragged myself off to the trailer park, net in hand, to contain a couple of huge scared house ferals.  Big boys, too, and even though this filthy trailer is already up for sale, and the realtor was about to arrive to show it, the cabinets were still full of the old ladies things.  I had to remove dishes and pots and what have you, to get to the hiding frightened boys.   Their world, such as it was, and it wasn't much, living in that filthy trailer, had just crashed.

Fortunately, I'd gotten both fixed three years ago.

Tom, from the Kitchen Cabinets

Jerry from the Kitchen Cabinets
Thistle, who was already fixed three years ago, went with five others to my barn cat placement friend.

Tom, Jerry, and Thistle, the fixed Tabby I'd caught the day before, along with Wally, Tiki and Metro, went to my barn cat placement friend yesterday.   I met her at the spay neuter clinic, when I went to pick up the six being fixed and brought with me Tom, Jerry and Thistle.  Off they went and I came home with just three boys from N. Albany.

I still have the two black girls in the garage I netted in the trailer bedroom.  And now I have the torti mom and her two kittens too.

However, I have a home lined up for the two black girls.  She'll also take two of the kittens roaming around the trailer looking like holocaust victims.  The torti mom and her two kittens will leave hopefully tomorrow to go north to Animal Rescue and Care Fund, who have her other kittens.  So it's all good and a lot of cats have been helped in the last few days, that's for sure.   Makes me feel good! 

I must mention the weather.  Like magic, sudden and strange, the weather went south right after the Labor Day holiday.  Temps dropped into the 70's and we will likely not see an 80 degree day again for months on end.  Drizzle and clouds moved in and have not moved out.  The long gray begins.

And now, I'm off to bed again.


2 comments:

  1. Hope you have a good long sleep and some relaxing days. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you.
    And sleep well. You more than deserve/need it.

    ReplyDelete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...