Saturday, July 14, 2018

Fantasia and I Head to the Coast

It was a nice day for a road trip with a kitty.

Fantasia was the unlucky "volunteer" this time around.

I'd seen her drooling.  The drool was clear but significant, right out the front of her mouth.

She'd had a problem canine, that hung too low and I wondered if it could be that tooth.  I made the appointment.

Off we went, after just 5 1/2 hours of sleep.  I went to bed plenty early, but woke at 2:00, instead of 3:30 as planned.  Then thoughts raced through my head and I could not get back to sleep.

I checked Fantasia in once I arrived.  Going through Warrenton, on the way, police were at every stop light.  Power was out.  Everyone behaved.

I got out of the clinic about 9:00.  The wait line was long but there, its always a friendly group in line, with dogs galore and cats in carriers glaring.

I headed straight to the south jetty parking lot. I parked in the shade by a dune, lowered all four windows about a quarter down, climbed in the back, took my shoes off, and unrolled my sleeping bag.  I then laid out and napped two hours.  That was nice and I felt good when I woke up.

After my nap, I locked up the car and wandered through the dune to the jetty, climbed through the large piled rocks and emerged on the beach.  This beach often has surfers trying their luck catching waves, but the waves weren't so high today.  There was no wind.   When I first arrived, fog shrouded some locations and the sky was cloudy.  But soon the sky cleared and the sun shone bright and it was perfect.

 
There were a couple of surf fishermen, who waited and waited, for any bit of luck, but had none, in the end.



Some riders showed up and one lady forced her unhappy horse out towards the surf. 




I held my breath hoping not to bear witness to a horrible disaster.  But she finally backed off her demands and turned back.



I found a shed crab back, full of sea water, far from the surf, and trapped inside were sand shrimp.

After taking the video, I walked the shell out to the water and let them free.

I wandered back to the jetty rocks, found a slanted large one facing the sun and warm and laid back for a short nap.  I woke up suddenly when I begin to slide off the rock.

After the car nap, I didn't have too much time before I would need to return to the clinic to pick up Fantasia.   The town was alive with people by then and bumper to bumper cars.   On the way home, driving from Astoria down to Seaside, the cars headed north to Seaside and Astoria were crawling along, jammed together and I was glad to be headed the other direction.

Fantasia had that bad tooth pulled and updated on rabies vaccine and worming.  I got another shot for Gretal while I was there and some bags of sub cu fluids to keep her hydrated.   I was home by 6:30 this time.  The nap sure helped.

Fantasia, waiting to see the vet in Astoria


8 comments:

  1. It sounds like both a productive and a (mostly) pleasant day. And Fantasia will feel much better (when she gets over the anaesthetic).
    Not at all surprised you also rescued the sand shrimp. It is who you are. A rescuer to the core.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the trips are a double edged sword as I'm generally too tired to really enjoy the coast much or if so, just for an hour or two.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:22 PM

    Sand shrimp. I see. They look like fleas running around. I think I have seen them and I didn't think they were very nice little creatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some folks also call them sand fleas.

      Delete
  3. I always enjoy your trips to the shore. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you got a well deserved nap. It's not something I'd be comfortable doing these days. My overactive imagination would have someone sneaking up on me every time I closed my eyes. ~grin~ Must be why I enjoy writing so much, though, so I'll deal. Heh... Great photos! What a relief that rider backed off. And hurray for a successful trip. You're such an amazing person. I would have released the shrimp, too. ~nods~ But you go above and beyond the call of duty as a good citizen. And thanks for the comment on my writing snippet. I hope my warning was adequate. I hate the thought of making anyone uncomfortable, especially for no good reason. Be well, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you must make people uncomfortable, as a writer. Isn't that part of it? I wish you'd officially publish a set of stories, or something. Even prudish me would read them. On my naps, I can nap anywhere almost. The exception being inside someone else's house, for the night. Then I can't sleep. But I could if I went out and slept in their hedge. Go figure.

      Delete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...