Thursday, May 31, 2018

Bad Water from the Santiam River

When was it I heard my phone screeching?  I don't remember.  I know the sound.

It's the same sound that violated a quiet lake, with me almost alone on the large lake, in my raft, awaiting the eclipse.

I had scrambled then to find my phone, hidden away in a ziplock plastic bag, to protect it from water, to get the thing turned off.  That was the state's doing, an emergency alert to remind people not to stop on the freeway to watch the eclipse.  Gee thanks.

Now what, I thought.

Well the announcement on the phone, via text, accompanied by screeching, said simply:  Civil emergency in your area (or something like that).  Prepare to take action.

That was it.  Nothing more.

Prepare to take action?  Should I grab a gun, load it up and stand outside, ready to fire on??????

Clouds of killer bees?  Alien attack?  Did the dam break up at Foster?  Should I be wrapping my house in plastic and duct tape to protect from chemical attack?  Rabid coyote packs?  WHAT?   For gosh sakes WHAT?

 I went outside to look for billowing chemical clouds.  This would be the most likely disaster where I live.  I live too close to old plants that produce toxic things.

I hadn't felt an earthquake.  The only other thing I could think of was maybe an incoming nuke.  That I could do nothing about.  So I  went back to eating dinner.

Later I found out it was a big mistake.  Big surprise!!  This prompted scoffing meme's to appear on facebook making fun of the state.

The message was intended as an alert for residents north of where I live.  Seems the toxic algae blooms that plague areas polluted with farm and lawn run off, had begun earlier than usual, east of Salem, in Detroit Reservoir.  The toxins from the algae had made it through the dam into the North Santiam River and down river into the Salem water supply.  Towns along the N. Santiam canyon were affected also.  Don't drink the water, the message was supposed to read, especially if elderly, ill, or a child or pet.   The message was supposed to go only to areas affected.

If you want to read up on the causes of Algae blooms, you can do so here.  If you go to the page and follow the link to nutrient pollution, you can see humans are mostly responsible for increases in the two nutrients directly linked to toxic algae blooms.  Causes are widespread, from livestock, to agriculture to fossil fuels to lawn fertilizers.  Read about toxic algae bloom causes here.

The city of Salem had known about the toxins in the water for days before notifying residents.  They claimed this was because of the holiday and state officials wouldn't be around to help.  Really?

At least one family's kids became ill as a result.  Probably were more.  Albany, my town, gets water from the Santiam River after the north and south branches join together.  The state has ordered Albany to test their water. Seems like they would have done so immediately upon knowledge of the north Santiam's problem.

 I've always had suspicions about the water department because the water is so chlorinated here that sometimes you can smell it when you open the tap. And because the price of water in this town is so high and they keep raising rates. It may as well be gold.   Anyhow, no test results are in from Albany, but I can tell  you the results will be negative, whether they are or not.  That's how much I trust the city water department.

There have been severe runs on bottled water.  Most stores are out of bottled water from Albany to Woodburn and further.  Reports of price gouging have arisen on facebook in the Salem area.  Of course.  Humans lowering themselves to be the least they can be when confronted with challenge.  One market was selling a gallon of water for $7, if you can believe that.  This came off the page of a trustworthy cat person in Salem who is justifiably outraged.   What fucks, to profit off a disaster.

New tests are supposed to come in today from Salem's water.  Meanwhile, is our water here safe?  Who the hell knows.  I got ill on Sunday and Monday.  I attributed this to Taco Bell tacos, however, and that is probably the case.  Gretal, one of my cats, is violently ill.  She's old however and this has been going on almost a month.  But I start getting even more uneasy and suspicious when reports of bad water are on the news.  There was this one guy I knew.  I helped he and his wife with cats.  Used to work for the water department.  They won't drink anything but bottled now.  He says he's seen too much.

Well I hope this is resolved quickly.  It's turned colder again here so maybe that will help.  I don't know. 

I spent some time relaxing at the park yesterday.   The south Santiam river runs through the park.   It's not toxic algae contaminated.    Three young women came shivering in bathing suits out of the woods trail near the river, wet and carrying plastic rafts.  I asked, "How's the water?"  "Freezing!" they said almost in unison.  They were rushing to their car to warm up.  The water is still very cold around here.  I admired their gumption.

Cumi looking good

Red Shafted or Northern Flicker




California Ground Squirrels.  They're everywhere in the park.





Boxelder bugs in love!


14 comments:

  1. I am so glad you got to the park - and shared some of the magic.
    We get toxic algae blooms here on our lake often in the warmer months. And yes, it is our actions which are at fault. It is not (to the best of my knowledge) anywhere near our water supply. If it was we would be lied to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, that last line cracked me up for some reason. "We would be lied to". Isn't that the way it is.

      Delete
    2. I enjoy the park, EC. I like chatting with the people I see too and petting dogs people are walking.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous12:38 PM

    People need to have faith in something as basic as the water supply. We too get toxic algae blooms in our waterways, but after the point where most drinking water is taken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm sure it will be resolved. If they just say its safe even if full of toxic algae, we'd probably be none the wiser and happy.

      Delete
  3. Good luck with your water. Does a regular Brita filter take out the algae? We had well water before and didn't have any problems. Now we're on city water that supposedly comes from a well, but we filter it because of the smell. Your pictures are great. I especially like the box elder bugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, filters don't get the algae aftermath out, cyanobacteria or something. Boiling the water only makes it worse, we're told, by concentrating it.

      Delete
  4. Oh, no! What a mess. I've always been amazed that algae, which used to seem so innocuous, can result in such a dangerous situation. And that's frightening about the fellow you know. I can't help wondering about all the chlorine pumped into our local supply. I won't drink it without putting it through a Britta pitcher filter, but that sure isn't fool proof. ~shakes head~ Thank you for sharing the lovely photographs. I sat outside this morning thinking I should have brought my camera to try and capture the ruby throated hummingbirds. Take care, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah another big bloom just broke out in an arm of Detroit lake, where Salem's water comes from so everyone is upset. I think they're from all the boats and excess gas dumped in the water, and drunk assholes peeing and pooping into the lake from their boats and campsites, for one thing. Those pollutants settle into sediments and come spring, algae has a huge buffet to eat from for their toxic blooms.

      Delete
  5. You know your wildlife! I have some books to send you. They're about cats except for one that's about wildflower identification. I don't know when I'll get them mailed, but I'll let you know when I do, assuming you would like them.

    I use a BiPap, so I keep about ten gallons of distilled water on hand for its reservoir. I've noticed that the expiration dates on the BiMart water are consistently way, way further off in the future than Winco's water, and this makes me wonder how these dates are determined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even know bottled distilled water had expiration dates. That's good to know. I would love those books. I like plant, track, bird, wildlife ID books especially.

      Delete
    2. Indeed distilled water expires, and unlike many products, the expiration date is easy to find.

      As for the books, I wished we lived closer because I probably have 200 to 300 books that you could peruse and take as many as you wanted (you could also visit when you're in town). Of the books that I plan to mail, one is about a nursing home cat that honed in on dying people. Another is "Homer's Odyssey," which is about a blind cat (it's a lot less corny than it might sound). A third is a generalized book about cats by Barbara Holland (I wanted to keep my copy, so I ordered it for you--of the cat books that I keep, most are either reference works or books of art, history, photographs, and/or literature). I won't be sending you "Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog," but I've often seen it at St. Vinnie's, so you might want to check it out for yourself. It's half scholarship and half personal experience by a man who loved his dog with a strength and intimacy that few people could bring themselves to own up to even if they were able to achieve it. One book that I wanted to run past you before I send it is Carla Emery's "Old Fashion Recipe Book." Perhaps you could read Amazon's description of it and let me know if it's something you might find use for: https://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Country-Living-Fashioned-Recipe/dp/0912365951. My Mother gave me my copy for Xmas in 1974 when I was living in the country and trying to be as self-sufficient as possible, but I just don't have need for such a book anymore.

      Delete
    3. Strayer, I haven't heard back about the Carla Emery book. I only ask about it because it's quite a large book and it has emotional significance to me.

      Delete
    4. I'm so sorry I forgot to come back to you on that. The description on Amazon looks extremely interesting and useful, although I'm getting older and may not find as much use for it as a younger person would. I'd love to read through it, however, as I love to learn and sounds like I could learn a lot reading it.

      Delete

Ten Extras

 I have ten extra cats in my garage. Nine are in traps, just brought over from the Scravel colony.    They are almost all orange tabbies, wi...