Thursday, May 17, 2018

Bad Eyes Boy

Sly, as I call him, the big orange tabby tux, from the Albany trailer park, had been here a week by the time I got him to Heartland Humane today, to be fixed.  Among other things.

I held out getting him fixed because I knew Heartland might help him out further, with his bad eyes.  I figured those discharging sore eyes were  not caused by an upper respiratory.  He looked like an entropian cat to me, one whose eyelashes turn in and brush his eyes.  They squint, try to keep their eyes closed, and why wouldn't they with the constant irritation, like sand paper the vet said, of lashes hitting their eyes.

Sure enough. He had that.

And boy did they ever help him out today, with extensive entropian nip and tuck surgery on both eyes.  When I picked him up, he was wide awake with eyes wide open, staring around like he could see for the first time in his life.  I was thrilled, to say the least.  I wanted to jump up and down in joy, hug the vet, the staff, dance!

They are good there to the cats I haul in, from god knows where, in all sorts of trouble.  Very good to them.  And to me.  I thought about the staff there and that vet who did the surgery, as I drove away, how they are extraordinary people, doing extraordinary things, like what they did today for a suffering stray boy, then going home like its nothing, to act normal when they're not normal people at all.   Blows my mind!

The sutures used, in a neat curl, are dissolvable.  They suggested I let him recover another five days before I take  him back.  Just fine by me.  He likes to eat.

Sly before surgery

And after

Blackie from Lebanon was also fixed.  I have his sister, a beautiful torti, with her five newborn kittens, in my bathroom.  There's another female over there with 3 week old kittens but her feeder doesn't know where the kittens are.  And another male.  But for now one girl and her kittens are safe and one of the boys is fixed too.

Blackie, fixed today from Lebanon at Heartland

Gigi, Blackie's sister, not even a year old, and her five kittens.  She's semi feral but so far doing a good job with her five newbies, born on Mother's Day.

After I dropped off Sly and Blackie, at Heartland today, I headed directly north to Wilsonville.  See, the Riverside drive black female, who went up to Animal Rescue and Care Fund, to have her kittens, she was fixed yesterday and ready to go home.  So I met Carma up there to get her.  On the drive up, south of Woodburn, there's three state police cars surrounding a big white van and the officers had assault rifles over their shoulders.  I don't know what that was about.  It had slowed traffic as people stared.  I stared too.

Well Clara was a bit bewildered on the ride home.  I mean, why wouldn't she be?  She'd spent two months in a large cage, had kittens, nursed them, finally weaned them, they off to a strange clinic to be fixed, and now this horror, another long ride in a car.   She must have thought she had been abducted by aliens and the horror would never end.  Well today it ended, Clara.  You are home with your extended family.

Clara, was nice to meet you.

Well that's it for today.  Signing off, going to bed!

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:09 PM

    Just nice to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to read. I hope you sleep well. You deserve an excellent night's rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fell asleep early in fact, EC. We are still going in and out of gray overcast days. Hopefully soon the sun will be out again, as it makes me happy. But I get more done on overcast days.

      Delete
  4. I agreed with Andrew, a good day to read about (except the van and the rifles).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks L and L. I probably won't hear what that scene along the freeway was about.

      Delete

Ten Extras

 I have ten extra cats in my garage. Nine are in traps, just brought over from the Scravel colony.    They are almost all orange tabbies, wi...