Sunday, April 01, 2018

The Brief Reprieve

I'm talking about a reprieve from awful weather, not from cat fixing.

Briefly our weather turned nice. Then came today. Easter Sunday.  April Fools Day.  And with it came rain and cold and it is not supposed to relent in the near future. 

This is messing people up.  It's messing me up.  I get all happy when the sun comes out, then here comes the cold and rain and I feel hurt, then angry and bitter and I refuse to put on a rain coat and stare into the sky like its my enemy and I'm ready to square off.

I do have eight extra cats in my garage set up in cages.

They're all from the new colony south of town.  There are allegedly 11 more there in need of fixing.  I only have 8 reservations.  She was supposed to get females.  She said they were all tame enough to put into traps.  Instead, she put only three females in traps, and only one of those was an adult.

Lily, the only adult female she got.     

Skank, a tame teen female.

Patches, on the left, another teen female.  Stripes, a male, is on the right.
LT, a gray tabby male

Stevie, a very young kittenish boy
Smokey, a large male

Willy, a teen one eyed boy


This morning I was called about a mom cat, tame, a stray, who some folks found in their garage, in a cardboard box, with four brand new black kittens.  ARCF again stepped in to say they'd take them.

They've got black mama from the Riverside Drive colony now who had five beautiful kittens.  Four boys and one girl.
Such gorgeous kittens!
But they had room for one more mom with kittens and I'm happy they did.  I was told this garage mom had at least two other litters, but likely many more.

I went and got her and set her up in my bathroom with her newborns.  Tomorrow I'll take them to ARCF's foster, in Wilsonville.
Black mom with her four black kittens.  They're tough to spot against black mom.


So on life goes despite all the rain and cold and allegedly high winds next weekend.  Whatever.

11 comments:

  1. I hope your weather relents. And thank you for keeping on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh don't we all wish that around here, EC.

      Delete
  2. I could just hug you for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your reply made me grin. ~nods~ I woke to find snow on the ground again. But that means I don't have to mow the grass. Crappy weather would be more tolerable if I lived right on the ocean. One can dream, right? ~grin~ I hope forecasters are wrong for you!

      Delete
  3. Yesterday, I thought about you when I looked at the cats up for adoption at a special event in Petsmart. There were two that I almost came home with. However, that wouldn't have been fair to the cats I have or the new ones. I just don't have time or money to give anymore cats the attention they need at this point in time. I was comforted knowing that all of these cats will have a chance thanks to the work you and others do.

    Hope the sunshine peeks out sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they don't need too much, really. I was talking to a dog person yesterday and she looked around inside my place and commented ten cats are easier to care for than one dog. She's right.

      Delete
  4. Have you read a book called "Secrets of the Cats" by Barbara Holland? It's one of the better ones, and qute humorous too, but cats were not her only subject. Here is what Wikipedia says about her: "Barbara Murray Holland (April 5, 1933 – September 7, 2010) was an American author who wrote in defense of such modern-day vices as cursing, drinking, eating fatty food and smoking cigarettes." Despite all this, she lived to be 77. If you haven't read it but think you might be interested in it, let me know, and I'll send you a copy.

    I planted bamboo on Friday and watered it well, there being no rain in the forecast. And then it rained. Now, I hope my bamboo doesn't get root rot. I'm doing okay with the rain because the days are longish and because I can see the good that the rain is doing to my beloved backyard. As long as I have a few good days a week to do yardwork, I'm okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read it yet, but someone sent me the book. She sounds splendid! My grandfather smoked, drank and swore til his death at 92 or 93. I would love to create a bamboo forest in my backyard. I know it can take over one's yard but I think I'd love it.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the great comment on my 'blueberry' post. I remember your epic strawberry purchase in past and hope there is a surprise bumper crop. ~hugs~ Today I had to share more pictures of Palaye Royale. ~blush~ Some images made me grin today and I had to share the joy. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the strawberry consumption of last year was epic even though the first crops were late and then my favorite local farm was put back by ODOT putting in a light at the intersection there.

      Delete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...