Tuesday, March 27, 2018

The Dreary Gray



Gray, cold and rain continue in Oregon for the most part.  We are sick of it and I've become grumpy from the chronic ick.   Two days ago, there were some blue breaks for a time, in the long gray that is life here much of the year.   Isolated showers coming from the southwest soon recovered my part of the sky again.  The photo shows a shower dropping in the distance, as I headed to Lebanon.

By the time I got to Lebanon, the sky was completely clouds again with rain.

Two local cats were fixed yesterday.  I had cancelled  most appointments for Monday since my back had been sore, but in the end, I couldn't resist the two and got them done, one in Salem, one at Heartland Humane.

Bagheera is an Albany boy and now neutered.

Devina is an Albany girl, who was in heat at spay.  
The 12th Riverside Drive colony cat, the pregnant black, whom I took up to Animal Rescue and Care Fund, to have her kittens, still, as of last night, had not had them.  But she's very large, they report and it could happen any moment.


I wonder how many kittens she will have.

Other than that, I've been doing projects, very slowly.  The 2nd bedroom floor needed recovering.  My brother had poured, over the osb subfloor, some epoxy like stuff, meant for covering garage floors.  Over the years it has flaked off, and mopping then puts water on the osb, which then bulges and turns into sawdust.  I have no idea why osb is used for subfloors.  Because its cheap I guess.

  I scraped the epoxy bubbles, that had expanded osb beneath, flat, a few days ago, removed molding and laid out the first of two vinyl floor remnant pieces I got at Home Depot for quite cheap.  The whole floor will be recovered for under $100 in fact.  I watch for these remnants like a hawk.   I laid the first piece Saturday night.  Looks nice and I just have one piece of molding to repaint and put back on by now.  I'll tackle putting down the other piece which includes a bit of cutting, for the closet space, soon.  I just clean the floor well and attach the vinyl with double sided tape.  It's very quick and easy, really.

The hard part of it was there are two furniture pieces in there I could not move out.  It was awkward alone, to manage getting the vinyl under those and straight and the tape down.  I just went methodically slow to do it.

I took out the living room foster cage too.  It confined my space and I like open space.  That was an easy project.  The foster cage panels are now in the rafters and can be set up quickly again, if needed.

I hope the long gray soon ends.  We all do here.  We need the sun.

Two further updates.   BB, formerly of Sodaville, the black female with the drooping white whiskers, is still at Heartland and must have fluids and is on kidney food.  The staff love her and I don't know if she'll get a home but she's safe there and well cared for. 

Quinn, the yard stray, was neutered yesterday, at Heartland.  He'd been in isolation with a very bad cold since I took him there.  I knew he had one when I took him into the garage that terribly stormy day but it must have been just starting because he got very bad before he got better.  I'm happy I took him off the street when I did, was a lucky thing because he may not have survived that out on his own.  I am very grateful to Heartland for giving him a chance.  I hope he gets a great home.

10 comments:

  1. You are so much more industrious than we are. I hope your back is feeling better. And thanks for all you do! It's rainy here today. Yuck. I actually went back to bed, tired from yesterday's emotional turmoil. On that note, thank you for the love sent our niece's way. She isn't much better today but tests show results in favor of full recovery. They just cannot administer an MRI because she remains agitated and incoherent. I haven't summoned the will to visit yet today. Be well, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no Darla, is it a brain injury?

      Delete
    2. Good news! She did suffer two brain bleeds, but superficial due to life saving air bag deployment, apparently. A care flight nurse reached out to the parents and said it looked like she misjudged her speed on that rotten turn but looked better upon retrieval than he dared hope. She should go home with them on Saturday. I have not seen her coherent yet, but might on Friday when we next visit. She was sleeping this afternoon under the influence of muscle relaxants. So she is even off major meds as far as I can tell. Amazingly, the most lingering injury is from a damaged ligament in her neck. She'll be restrained from many activities for a while, which you can imagine will make her parents happiest. ~grin~ Thank you for your concern. Best wishes to you and all your efforts. Wish I could hug you.

      Delete
    3. She's really lucky. Thank goodness for that.

      Delete
    4. Yes! And she was smart, her phone tucked away and seat belt on.

      And thanks for the kind word about my minor disappointment. Actually a friend, who loved hanging out as hairdresser and sort of little sister to rock stars in the eighties and nineties, gave me a suggestion. I don't know if I'll sneak around the back of the venue, though, even if their trailer is likely there. I'm too shy and nervous. One angry bouncer would ruin my whole night. I'll be content focusing on the music. ~grin~ And there are other opportunities. I could probably convince SO to let me buy a ticket to the final Van's Warped Tour or a Stone Sour show, and the hardworking guys of Palaye Royale will be at both. Be well!

      Delete
    5. I hope you get to meet them Darla. She'll be a better driver after surviving such a horrific wreck.

      Delete
  2. Look after yourself. And take those projects slowly.
    And thank you for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, not moving very fast lately, taking it easy.

      Delete
  3. You really are the jack of all trades. Here's hoping for some sun for you. We are having cold rainy days for the next several days. I don't know if I could cope with them all year long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without youtube I can't do a darn thing. Youtube is the most wondrous "how to" instructional encyclopedia that could ever be imagined. So many people, experts and non experts, bad videos and stylish, out there earnestly showing people how to do the smallest to the largest of tasks. I LOVE all those precious DIYer's putting it out there.

      Delete

Back to 7-11

 I already have 3 cats here, waiting for placement from 7-11, with Silverton Cat Rescue barn cat program. The two girls--Eleven and Petunia,...