Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Swans in the Country





I don't know if these are Trumpeter Swans or Tundra Swans.  Both species come through Oregon.  I just think they are beautiful, whatever species they are.

I was driving to Brownsville and saw them in the fields off Linn West.  Often though I see them in the fields out off Harvest this time of year.

I'm about to take the two kittens down to Diana in Brownsville.  She has their mother, Black Dahlia, spayed yesterday, for now, but will return all three to their home off Gap Road in a couple of days.  I will take the adult male, Kremlin, home in a few minutes.  One of the two black kittens fixed yesterday, Keta, turned out to be a girl while Sockeye, the smaller of the pair, is a boy.

I took Mama Cat and Big Boy back to Sweet Home last night.  They were all ready to receive them back.   Afterwards, I dropped a trap by another Sweet Home location.  They got my number from the Sodaville Road colony folks.  It's a couple who had a pregnant tame cat come to them who promptly had kittens.  They've been caring for all four but now the kittens, at least two of whom are obviously girls, are old enough they could get pregnant.   They've got the trap tied open to feed in and I hope to get all four in next Monday.

Except I've only got five reservations and already have the Sodaville kitten and the Brownsville female, mom of some tame older kittens also fixed yesterday, who need done.  That's six and I have only five reservations.  So I'm trying to dig up another one somewhere.

I better get on the move, still a bit slow from yesterday's efforts.  Aren't those swans just beautiful?


10 comments:

  1. The swans are beautiful. We don't have any around here, summer or winter, so it's a real treat to see your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:02 PM

    They are beautiful birds and nothing like our black swans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they certainly are beautiful. I watched them root in the grass (which the grass seed farmers probably do not like), curling the necks crazily to do it. Kind of amazing.

      Delete
  3. Way to go! Good luck getting another reservation lined up. ~hugs~ What beautiful birds. I was delighted to spot a pair of swans with cygnets during a visit to northern Indiana years ago. We went mainly to enjoy the shores of Lake Michigan but, in an ironic twist, were driven off by biting flies while those swans lived in a rather ugly little man-made lake abutting our motel room patio. We got to see all sorts of wildlife up close and personal there including a juvenile raccoon who liked to lounge hanging out of a tree cavity over our heads. ~grin~ Funny how things work out sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, biting flies. The Cascades are full of bugs up until mid to late August, including, in some places, biting flies and they are miserable. Good you found another way to enjoy your trip flies aside.

      Delete
    2. "The Cascades are full of bugs up until mid to late August..."

      It's not so bad in the Old Cascades (at least away from water), which I find more interesting anyway because of the greater diversity of plants and because of their great age. I can't help but be impressed by numbers like 40-million, although even that is as nothing compared to the Appalachians and the Canadian Shield.

      Delete
    3. The numbers are impressive. Lately I've gotten inspired to learn life histories again of native Oregon species of birds, plants, wildlife.

      Delete
  4. They look more trumpeters to be based upon a quick search, but if you hadn't told me they were swans, I would have thought they were geese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first saw them, I thought "Snow Geese" but then looked up Snow Geese and not Snow Geese. Then I remembered they were swans and common this time of year.

      Delete

Five Cats Fixed Yesterday

 Two Liliths from two towns were fixed yesterday.  Coincidence?  I guess. This Lilith is from Lebanon and was left behind by her people at a...