Wednesday, June 22, 2016

$1 Reception

My TV reception, cabled in from an ancient roof top antenna, has been terrible lately.

How terrible?  I gave up on TV terrible.   The worst reception always was about 8:30 p.m..  If I started to watch something at 8:00, just as it was getting into the drama and winding down, that's when reception would "pixelize" out.  I gave up trying, in disgust.  Instead I played with my cats and read crime drama books gleaned from thrift stores and free boxes.

Until a few days ago.

I scored an antenna, from some friends, who had been to a sale at Fred Meyer and gone a little nuts.  Like many people, they can't afford cable either.  This is why they went on a spend spree:

Plastic package window slap on antenna was in.  Now that is a mark down!
I think there is an assumption that Americans all have cable.  Almost no one I know can afford cable.  Many I know cannot afford internet either.

The Slap On antenna, stuck to the inside of my window

Did I think that cheap looking thin round plastic antenna would capture signal?  Hell no.  Was I ever shocked.

Now I can usually get the 3 major networks, plus FOX, plus PBS, Justice Channel and Retro Channel.  Plus a few others sometimes.  Not bad for a buck!


5 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:22 PM

    Wow! You deserved a break like that, for the great things that you do. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had a TV for over 40 years so that sort of thing is beyond me anyway... however... and this is a biggy... internet is my lifeline to my kids and family so is very important to me. I wish a slap-on antenna would suffice... Love your bargain purchase... and it works! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have never thought that it would work either. That's one of the best buys I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful. An excellent dollar spent. Karma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent! I'm so glad you got a deserved break for a change.

    ReplyDelete

Dashing

 Got a message this morning.  Was I even really awake yet?   The weather has been really winterish, with winds, pouring rain, cold, even thu...