Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Panda and Juno and I Go on Road Trip

Panda and Juno had their turn today, getting their teeth cleaned and the bad ones pulled.  We went on an early morning road trip, to the north coast clinic.

I had the pair ready last night, so early this a.m., I just had to get in my car and go.  So off I went.

Juno, from the seed warehouse took the trip with me today.   She was very good and had four teeth pulled.

Panda, a sweetheart, went with me too.  She had six pulled.
 We arrived at the vet clinic right on time, just before 8:00 a.m., after a very long drive.   I checked the cats in, and headed for the beach.  I drove back over Young's Bay, into Warrenton and on to Hammond.  But just before the left turn to go to Fort Stevens state park and the beaches out beyond the campground, I ran into this pair, almost literally.  

A pair of young elk
I went down to Area D, to see if I could find the place that burned just after I visited last with cats.  This is taken looking back up the Columbia River towards the bridge to Washington state.

I'm not sure why people drive onto the beach.  So many cars everywhere.  Why take them onto the beach.  It's not far to walk.

I found the area that burned down by the south jetty.  Doesn't look like the fire was very extensive.

I parked at the south jetty and was going to hike out to the beach.  But wouldn't you know, I fell sound asleep and slept for over two hours.  I was jolted awake by people talking.  It was a tour bus.  Later, I saw a cruise ship at the docks in Astoria.  I wonder if they were from it.

I drove back towards the campground part of the park and turned down to the beach with the wreck of the Peter Iredale. The wreck is vanishing over the years.  There is less of it now than there was a year ago.

As I'm walking that beach, enjoying the walk, here comes a pickup speeding down the sand.  Once again, I thought to myself, you fricking asshole.  You've got roads everywhere and you have to come careening down the beach.  There are so few places one can go without cars everywhere now.  You got legs, use them!  Walk!

By the time I'd walked there, then went and bought a sandwich at Safeway, it was time to go pick up the cats. I had noticed gas prices varied greatly there.  In Seaside, when coming through, I saw it being sold for $2.59 per gallon while a 76 Station in Astoria was selling it for $2.33.  The other stations in Astoria were $2.49.  But when I went to pick up the cats, that same 76 station had changed its price to $2.27!!  Down five cents in half a day.  Woohoo. I gassed up there.

I watched the ships coming and going for awhile before I went to pick up the girls at the clinic.  

The Pilot Tug, moving that ship on through, probaby headed to Portland.  When I was little, I wanted to become a tug pilot.

This ship looks new, all shiny and those lifeboat pods on the side look new too.

On my way home, I stopped in at my vacation home, the rest area.  Ha ha.

The bill for the two cats getting dental cleanings, four extractions for Juno, six for Panda, antibiotic injections, ear cleaning, nail trims, rabies vaccination updates, droncit injections and 10 big dog Advantage tubes (will treat 100 cats), was a little over $400.   That is quite a lot of services for that much, and that's why I make the trip to that clinic.


  1. Yay for two more free from dental issues.
    I loathe people driving on the beach - and don't understand it. Beaches are for walking along slowly, feeling the crunch of sand underfoot and smelling the air.
    Our fuel is over $1.50 a litre at the moment. And a litre is about 0.26 of one of your gallons.

    1. That's really expensive, for fuel. Ours here was way up for awhile, but has been creeping down. There's no reason to drive on the beach at all. Just laziness.

  2. Although I'm sure it was tiring, it looks like you had a great day--cats got services and you got to visit the beach. Win-win. Love your pictures of the ship and bridge.

    1. Yes, it was tiring but I love getting out of town and walking the beach.

  3. Glad your clinic visit went well. Our vet requires the cats to be anesthetized for tooth work-which requires no food in the morning, so we always drop them off the night before to be sure.

    1. Yes, these guys had to be no food night before also. I got them contained and put them in the car in large live traps for the night. The clinic I use is a three hour drive away, so no over nighting them there, the night before. I've never heard of any vet that would work on a cats teeth without them being under anesthesia. That would be a super brave vet and a super relaxed cat....have to be, wouldn't it?

  4. Great photos! The elk are beautiful. I think you needed that nap, so I'm glad you got some sleep. Sounds like a good day overall, so I'm glad for you.