Friday, November 22, 2013

The Wait

I'm just waiting now.

With all cats from the colony caught and fixed, safe and sound, now I just wait it out for the homes to come.

The Heartland staffer will be taking ten or eleven of the 17 cats from the colony still waiting for homes.

I may have a Roseburg couple signed on for the others.  They sound puuurrrfect!  But the husband has to agree.  You know how that goes.

Fingers crossed.

Meanwhile, I saw a doctor who is kind of like a physical therapist and also a pain manager.

I did not know what to expect, a pill pusher maybe?

I didn't have to worry.  This woman was very good at her job, very kind, and rather quickly found I'm probably suffering from pulled tendons or ligaments in both hips and thighs, and that spot pain on my inner right calf that has caused me sleepless nights, is the spot where a muscle attaches to bone.  That muscle is strong, pulling my foot inward and upward, while the opposing muscle on the outside of my leg isn't as strong.   So I have to increase the strength of the opposing muscle to even things out.

She liked cats.  Would I see a doctor who didn't?

Unfortunately, I'd made an error in judgement.

A friend in Washington sent me a care package.  It included some brightly colored hand knitted cat mats.  She's extremely talented that way, as a crafter.  She knows I love peppermint.  Inside the box was a small package.  I thought at first it was peppermint candy. I saw the word "peppermint" and began salivating like a Pavlov dog. 

It was not candy.  It was tubes of Starbucks peppermint and mocha ground coffee, ready for the cup.

"Resist," I told myself.  "Wait til morning," I said weakly.  I didn't wait.  I couldn't wait.

By nightfall, I had downed two cups of Starbucks ready for the cup coffee.  It was so good!  I stared at the remaining tubes.  I was already buzzed.  I didn't sleep well.  I tried to sleep but I could not close my eyes.  They wanted to remain open.  I got a lot done.  Morning, alarm sounds.  I'm hungover and slam it with my open hand.  "Aaaarrgh, noooooo, not morning yet, can't be!"

I had to see a doctor.  I get nervous seeing a doctor.  I don't like seeing a doctor. I'm the dog trying to drag her owner backwards out of the vet clinic. But the pain I had been experiencing was debilitating and I don't want to live like this.  Makes me grumpy, hunched over, inept.

Well, another cup of peppermint Starbucks ready for the cup coffee sure might help!  Two cups later and seriously buzzed I walked in the door of the doctor's office.  I could not even tolerate the wait in line to check in with the receptionist.  I had to find a bathroom.  Darn caffeine.

My bp was a bit elevated too.  Caffeine high.  I finally bubbled out a confession to the assistant.   "I've had four cups of Starbucks coffee in the last 12 hours.  I don't usually drink like this, " I say.  Then I add quickly, "by drink, I mean coffee, not...." my voice trailed off.  I was making things worse.

The assistant patted my knee.  "Don't worry.  There's a Starbucks just across the road and we sometimes overdo it too.  It's SOOO strong."  I had to excuse myself to use the bathroom again.

I left with a sheet of exercises to do.  Started last night.  They're not complicated or difficult.  I have hope now that the pain isn't permanent, that there's something I can do to make it better.

I put this together a month ago or so, to keep air out when the cats come and go from the cat window box and runs.  It's winter now.  The window needed closed to keep out the cold air.  It is a primitive fix but better than last years.  The washers glued to the plastic are to keep the swinging cat doors closed, in tandem with magnets attached at the bottom. The cat doors swing from pieces of an old curtain rod.  The old cabinet door I used is on runners, so it slides open and closed, and even locks shut.
Huckleberry eats in the cat cage.  She's a sweet girl.



Storm comes around the corner to join Huckleberry for breakfast this morning.
The cold weather has posed something of a challenge, as usual, with the cats all bored and wanting attention.  The other day I rearranged the furniture in the living room to give them something to think about.  It's really tough to entertain cats constantly, as their minds are active.  If I don't keep things changing, they become bored.  I suppose that helps me.  I am forced to keep coming up with new games, new toys, new furniture and cat runs.

Cats and dogs do not watch TV or read books.  Can you imagine how boring life could quickly become?  My job is to fight feline boredom!
Starry this morning

Honey in the morning.

Cold weather friends Mums, Sam and Calamity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...