Sunday, February 01, 2009

Photos of the Two Latest Kittens from the "These are Working Cats" people

The two kittens the folks turned over yesterday are quite ill. The orange and white is a little girl and not as sick as the Siamese mix male. The latter kitten mostly wants to sleep, and drink, but this morning, ate a little bit, when I hand fed him. They're on antibiotics. I roundwormed them and this morning, they are starting to poop out roundworms. They also have earmites and tapeworms and I haven't treated them for either, because they're sick and I don't want to overwhelm them. However today, I will tackle the earmites. They'll be gone.

The people claim they don't feed them because "they're working cats". That means mousers. Do you think these sick kittens are really able to catch mice? When I mentioned worming them, the old woman waved me away again, saying "they're just working cats".

Guess what. If you want good mousers, lady, feed them, fix them, vaccinate them and worm them. Then you will have real working cats, who will mouse as a natural instinct like nothing you've seen before. I know these folks are from a different culture. But how about forgetting cultural differences and applying common sense? Healthy cats can hunt. Sick starving breeding worm infested cats are lousy hunters.

I hate to get people into trouble with the law. I don't know how else to communicate with some people. But I have an idea for these folks, that might work better than any law enforcement intervention. My secret weapon? He has a name. Oscar. He is the Neuterscooter vet's partner. He is charming, Hispanic, speaks fluent Spanish as does everyone at the Neuterscooter and has a way about him of communicating that is just irresistable. He loves giving people flowers, he's just a charmer. What if I could get Oscar to visit them? I think he could pull off a miracle there.

I'm hoping Safehaven will take on at least a couple of these kittens, once over their colds. The man who took me out there, as moral support, is on the board at Safehaven and hopes they can take a couple of them on.

This is the little girl, very cute, but also very dirty. All the cats, including the two calicos, were exceedingly dirty. They have not been cleaning themselves, which is a sign a cat isn't doing well.
This is the sickest kitten. He is doing slightly better this morning, still listless and I have to hand feed him, but he is drinking on his own. He would have been dead within three days, if left there.


Her belly is all dirty. I will give them bathes, but not for a couple of days, when they are feeling better.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, poor kitties. Can I get some antibiotics for you? What else? You know, one time I saw some starving cats and I went over there at night and took them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have antibiotics. I do need to get at least one of them tested. The black and white little boy, who isn't really fixed, but the vet thought he was, is going back tomorrow to be fixed this time, since I already paid for it. But I'd rather get one of the sick ones tested. It's an expense saving ploy of mine. Test the sickest and if they are negative, the whole bunch will be. They are going to be negative, because a positive cat could not withstand such starvation and worm infestations with leukemia. The depressed immune system would have allowed the virus to multiply unfettered and kill the kitten. That's another way I tell, without testing, and my rates of being right are really really high. I guess it's just common sense that a positive kitten could not withstand such tests of the immune system as are brought on by starvation, severe URI's and worms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you bringing them to countryside? I'll call and put some money on your account. Email me and let me know if Countryside is the right one and I will call in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can send you a little bit of money to help with it, too, if you'd like - tomorrow - i was planning on doing so with the scratch off ticket anyway - please use it towards these cats. Are you still taking food there on monday? I hope none of the others have died in the meantime...is that what it takes for some folks to wake up to the harm they are causing?

    ReplyDelete

End of Warmth

 We had some nice days.   But the heat is gone. We'll be in the 60's again for awhile, with perhaps some drizzle. I love the heat.  ...