Friday, January 30, 2009

Know Someone With a Cat That Needs Fixed?

The Albany Neuterscooter clinics have only 15 cats registered so far, between the two clinics. How pathetic is that?

I knew it might be a problem. There is an issue in Linn County with an entitlement attitude. Plus, people have lots of heavy expensive addictions to feed, before they feed anything else, or would consider paying to get their cat or cats fixed. Primarily, I'm talking cigarettes and alcohol. But there are also a lot of bigger drug issues here, from pot, which takes a chunk of change to buy and is a commonly used drug in Linn County, to meth, which renders its users drug zombies. This isn't something new to the economic down turn. These priorities have being going on forever here.

I'm still hopeful people will sign up to get their own cats and feral cats fixed at the clinic. I'm also very skeptical it will happen. In North Bend, people of the same or even lower income levels as in Linn County, line up by the score to take advantage of such a clinic.

What is the difference, I wonder, between the two populations, which are similar in income levels and problems faced, in so many other ways. Is there more of an independent nature there, imbedded values of personal responsibility. even among the poor, that they feel they should take care of it themselves? I don't know the answer. There are lots of people who don't fix their cats down there also, of course.

All I remember is KATA telling me, that at one Sweet Home Neuterscooter clinic where over a hundred cats were fixed, only one person actually paid for their own cat to be fixed. The rest got fixed under various grants. That is so sad!

I am reluctant to go begging out of county to find sponsors for Linn County cat fixes. It's pathetic in so many ways. This is a sad county. Personal responsibility is not a common value here. You'd think it would be, given way over half the populace count themselves conservative.

I have discovered, on both sides of the political aisle, that a lot of people do about exactly the opposite of what they claim verbally to believe. It's funny. And it's a curiosity. For example, the personal responsibility value claimed by republicans is often hard to find in Republican areas. And, a lot of the loudest screechiest preachiest liberals are the most intolerant hateful and mean people you'd ever meet in your life. Curious. Interesting.

Back to the cats. I may cave and try to come up with money and spay sponsors to get these clinics filled. Or, appeal to out of county cat caretakers. Maybe I'll try both. I hate to see clinics wasted, but I also hate to watch others shell out more money and effort to make up for the slackers of this county. It's a dilemma. I hate becoming a co-dependent to lazy lifestyles by helping people remain irresponsible and lazy.

1 comment:

  1. There's a feral around here that I would love to catch and get neutered, but he doesn't show up often enough to be reliable. I have that camera out in the carport that takes photos on motion sensor and he shows up with no schedule....usually the day AFTER a clinic

    ReplyDelete

Round Up

Today is cat round up for tomorrow's five spots.  Two more came up from the vet student in Harrisburg late this morning.  Over 60 fixed ...