Thursday, November 20, 2008

Unemployed Cat Trapper

I am currently out of Poppa funds for fixing cats. I have enough left to fix four tomorrow and that's it. The trailer park womans' son, had promised to donate to cover those cats, but the donation has never materialized. Maybe the vet clinic will get it in the mail today. I did call the woman and asked about it. She seemed sort of hostile to my request. It goes that way. People don't want to fork over. I am hoping her son just forgot.

I can't tell you how many times I've been stiffed.

It costs me to help people too. The cost of bait, of flea treating and worming the cats. I don't get reimbursed for such things by anyone. I have a handful of nice folks who sometimes contribute by sending cat food or flea treatment. But I go through a ton of bait, for trapping and Advantage. I go through tons of flea and worm treatment.

Just think, I've already taken in 24 cats this week alone, and each one, except for the owned male, was wormed and flea treated before returning. It's the least I feel I can do for these stray and feral cats. But it comes at a cost to me.

I can't officially fund raise for help with flea and worm treatment, and bait, because I am not a nonprofit. That's unfortunate. I don't know why I give away myself so much. I have gotten lots in return, however. I've gotten a purpose in life, a job, a way to help the community and the cats whom I love. I've made friends even far away, like in France and Great Britain, and on the east coast and in Canada. Sure, I've never met them, but they're online friends.

I can't say I've made a lot of local friends. I have met scores of local people, which has been interesting to say the least. There are a lot of characters out there and some incredible people.

I rely on people's word, too. If they say they'll donate, I have to believe them. I rely on believing them. I always have optimism that their word is good. But often I am stiffed.

I remember the woman out off Spicer, for whom I trapped and took in 24 cats to be fixed. She claimed she would pay the costs back at $100 a month. But I never heard from her again. She never carried through on her promise. The woman was, at the time, a SafeHaven board member, at least that's what she told me, and just because of that, I believed her, felt this gave her credibility, so felt her word was good. She resigned that position about that time.

But anyhow, I tend to believe people and I don't want to stop believing people. It does seperate out clearly the liar crowd. You know who they are if they lie to you and renig on promises made. You know the inner workings of their character, that they use people. This makes me downcaste and angry at first, but it doesn't really affect me. I know there are a lot of such people out there.

I want very much to continue taking in cats, but the money is not available that I have been using, to a great extent now.

The trailer park woman called to say her son is putting the donation check in the mail today. It is being sent to the vet clinic. That's great news. I wonder how much it is for. She didn't say or know. I better not get my hopes up.

So far, I've taken in 12 cats to be fixed from that situation--four adult females, one adult male, 4 male kittens and 3 female kittens. Total fixing cost to Poppa: $474. There are four cats who still need fixed there. I have, in addition, treated all 12 so far fixed, for roundworms and fleas. Cost to me for flea and worm treatment for these 12? About $20. I didn't add in bait and gas. It isn't free to get cats fixed. I wish it were!

I don't what I can do with myself if I don't do what I've done for years.

I'm an unemployed cat trapper, is what I am right now. And I don't sit around very well. What can I do now?

3 comments:

  1. $20? $30? You can just about bet it won't be as much as was spent on fixing them. We just finished a colony that showed up behind a local restaurant...actually, we were called by the private school next door about them. 23 cats! Then, the school children and the restaurant both put out "donation" jars and not only paid for the neuters, flea and worm treatments, shots and any veterinary care they also built feeding stations and insulated cat houses. It was used as a lesson for the kids and they loved every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool zippy and Saide and Speedy. That is what you call a community effort. Now where do you live? I want to move there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is a terrific way to get community involvement....its a shame where you live, Jody, that "donation jars" couldn't work...someone would probably steal them...

    ReplyDelete

Five Cats Fixed Yesterday

 Two Liliths from two towns were fixed yesterday.  Coincidence?  I guess. This Lilith is from Lebanon and was left behind by her people at a...