Thursday, April 10, 2008

8 Cats Fixed Today

Eight more cats were fixed today. Six of them will qualify for Poppa reimbursement by the city of Albany under the cat grant. Two of them were Millersburg kitties--the tame orange tabby I've named Sunny, from the barn, and the last feral I trapped there, another all black. However this one, unlike the other two, was a female. She was also pregnant.

I took up the final two unfixed cats from a large number of unfixed cats a woman owns a few blocks from here. Got the first five of them done at the Corvallis Neuterscooter. She had taken half a dozen or so to the Sweet Home Neuterscooter clinic last summer. Now, all the cats she cares for are fixed and she is very happy.

She works unbelievable hours, at really low wage, to afford to live. I asked her "Do you ever get a break?" She said she doesn't and she guesses her reward will have to be heaven. She said it was a shrug and a smile, like there's nothing else she can do.

Three more owned Albany cats hail from near the cop shop. A family moved up from Junction City and brought some strays they'd taken care of down there. They've only lived in Albany a short time. They're poor. Three generations are living in one run down house. Three they will try to adopt out were fixed today, including the Siamese mother, a Siamese kitten and a tabby male kitten. The Siamese kitten, about five months old, also had her umbilical cord hernia repaired.

The sixth Albany cat is the final unfixed cat from down off Salem Road, near the bar. Except I guess she is now feeding an injured stray male who needs neutered. So I guess there will be one more from there. I think I've taken in about 8 from that location now. I'm not sure on the count.

The two cats who didn't qualify as Albany cats were the two aforementioned Millersburg barn cats.

Tomorrow, I'll be taking in 8 more. The vet will kill me. I didn't mean to have 8. Three more will come from the former Junction City extended family. I had then gone on out to Millersburg Country colony, to try to trap more of the newcomers, from the former dairy owners.

I had run into one of the new owners at the Millersburg store. The new owners intend to make of it an organic dairy. The last owners, a pair of lesbians I am told, tried to make a go of a goat farm. They also left behind 22 cats when they up and moved to Grants Pass, after failing at the goat farm. The 22 cats have roamed to Millersburg Country colony, a colony that used to be all fixed.

Two unfixed former goat farm cats were hit on the road and killed--a pregnant brown tabby on white and an all gray. I had previously taken in three ferals and one tame one, from the goat farm, after they were abandoned by the lesbians. Tonight, I trapped five more.

They were swarming, man, and I was just beside myself, wanting to catch them all, but I had only the five traps. Damn it. So I caught five, practically drooling in excitement, as I watched them swarm the drop trap. I had to reposition my car so the headlights shone on the drop trap. Otherwise, it was too dark to see who was eating under it.

The final drop was the winner! And the reason I'd gone out there. I'd been told there was a pregnant reddish black female coming from the dairy, her former home, in the evening. I didn't want to deal with more kittens at Millersburg Country. There were three black cats in and out from under the drop trap at the end. Try figuring out from a distance in bad light, with broken binoculars who might be the unfixed newcomer black in the midst of those three. I finally thought I saw a hint of red in the black of one female eating under the trap and yanked the string. Sure enough, I had caught the reddish black preggie. Yahoo!

It was the first night with decent weather forever!

I'd seen a true UFO today in Oregon.

The sun.

The day was good. Eight cats were fixed and I caught five more of the lesbian goat farmers abandonees.

1 comment:

  1. You are doing wonderful work. I’d like to tell you that I’ve written a scathingly funny book, The World Is Your Litter Box, which will be out May 6th. The book is cleverly disguised as a cute cat book so humans will buy it, but is, in fact, a how-to manual FOR cats. Check it out on my website, www.theworldisyourlitterbox.com.

    ReplyDelete

Last Trip to Lake?

 I went to the lake yesterday.  It was supposed to get up to near 80 by late afternoon.  I checked the reservoir level first, to make sure I...