Friday, February 01, 2008

I know people who kill Nutria

I know a lot of people who kill Nutria. They are over running Albany. They can become aggressive. I thought about it awhile, and decided to learn how to tan hides and skins. Nutria have muskrat like dense oily waterproof fur and skin--perfect for making boots and shoes I'd think. Why would we think leather for shoes and boots could only be bovine?

I bet I could make cat food from their meat, so it would not be wasted. People are killing them. Their bodies should not be wasted.

4 comments:

  1. I know they live at the ditch at our old place on the corner of Knox Butte and Pitt St. I've seen them out and about in the daytime (apple and pear trees).

    I heard that they have exceptional pelts. If I had the balls and lived in Albany I would have wiped out the population.

    Now I live in Corvallis and have a rat infestation (ugh).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote a little post about Nutria and how they aught to be removed from our ecosystem up here. They really are tearing up the place and ruining wetlands in Oregon, so if you can make catfood out of them, I say go for it. The meat is like rabbit, in that it is lean and red, very little fat. The fur is amazing, so it has uses too.

    Can do nothing but good, honestly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For another type of catfood (it is mentioned in the article linked above) may I suggest Starling?

    ... speaking of invasive species to be rid of.

    ReplyDelete

Five Cats Fixed Yesterday

 Two Liliths from two towns were fixed yesterday.  Coincidence?  I guess. This Lilith is from Lebanon and was left behind by her people at a...