Friday, December 28, 2007

Injured Kitty at the Vet

I took three cats up to the vet this morning. One is a huge male from Lebanon. He's tame, and possibly gay, but, he does like female humans and has grabbed his caretakers hair and tried to "do" her. So he's, thankfully, getting neutered. Other than that,he doesn't fight with other males, despite his massive size, and shows little interest in territory marking or female cats. Gay, I'm telling you.

This Lebanon woman feeds neighborhood strays. A Lebanon area cat helper trapped two of the outside cats, but this freaked her out totally, because the trapper didn't cover the traps she set, and one cat, exposed for over an hour inside the trap, totally freaked, which freaked this kind hearted woman out. So, she'll let me trap the outside strays, but only when she isn't there to see it. Next week, I'll do just that.

And her grandpa, in Salem, feeds about 20 cats, on his farm. And he is desperate to get them fixed. I just told her about the FCCO. Since she is emotionally unable to trap, either I'll do it, or I'll find somebody else to do it, and get them in to a Salem FCCO clinic, a FLEX clinic or the Philomath FCCO clinic, before breeding season begins yet again. I suppose she has about 8 that need fixed, all outside strays, except for two three month old kittens she took in.

So I also took in the brown tabby second Shedd teen, finishing that colony.

And I took in the badly injured gray and white long hair cat I netted last night out at Hate Thy Neigbhor. I'm more convinced this is a fan belt injury. Cats try to keep warm in this frigid weather by sleeping inside the hoods of cars. This can prove deadly.

I told the vet, if the cat is savable, to save him, and I'll find some way to pay for the cost of saving the cat. I feel these desperate cats should get a chance, since they've not had it good. I just want him or her to feel loved and cared about at some point in his or her life.

It's important, in my mind, for some reason, that hard luck humans and animals don't die out there, suffering, cold, having felt no love touch them in their lives, only anger and hardness and judgement. I want love to win. I'm such an optimist, but an optimist who works hard and sacrifices to try to make my delusional dream real. At least I'm not a lazy delusional optimist.

3 comments:

  1. Toms, if they cannot find a willing female, will couple with a submissive male. I don't know of any Toms that would prefer males over females though. All the Toms around here want to make kittens, all the time, want to make kittens, even though I fixed so I can't make kittens. Such a pain. I hiss and growl at them and make them leave my territories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I swear some males are gay, especially, for some reason, the long haired ones. I have my Moby, who not only is a ghandi type guy, but adores kittens, and wants to mother them. Once, when I found a ten day old Siamese kitten in the loft of a barn, by chance, heard him screaming from up there, he was so distraught, there was no comforting him so I could get even a bit of sleep. So I plopped him on Moby's belly. The little guy even tried to nurse on him, with Moby's encouragement. GEnder bender issues, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have a weird little male cat. never has shown a bit of interest in females, except fixating on one and following her around all the time, and when she died, *I* became the one he fixated on. He kind of wigs out when I'm not around. Always has to know where I am in the house. Must sit next to me, on me, or at my feet when I'm home, follows me all over the house. He likes kittens, too.

    ReplyDelete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...