Monday, November 12, 2007

Craigslist Neuterscooter Post Removed

I've tried twice to post about the upcoming Neuterscooter clinics in Oregon, only to have them flagged by the community. Who is doing it? Couldn't say. Bored people with issues maybe. Breeder types who hate anyone associated with spay/neuter maybe. I've given up posting on criagslist as a result. This happened last time I tried to post about the neuterscooter clinics also.

It's also possible the photos I included caused the flagging. The photos show cats suffering the results of overpopulation, abandonment or dumping. I included one I took of Hope, who had her left eye knocked out by blunt force trauma, after she was abandoned in downtown Albany. I took a photo of her through the window of the house, where the tenant once lived who had abandoned her, still caring for her kittens despite her injury.

I included a photo of a colony on a nearby country road. The old woman who cared for this colony, before her death, told me it started when a pregnant orange cat suddenly showed up nearly starved to death and promptly had kittens. Years later, I was trapping for a Tangent woman who matter of factly told me she used to have relatives dump cats near a warehouse, where it was known they fed cats. Well I had trapped over 200 cats at that warehouse, too, so she had been causing me problems doing that there, but no orange females ever showed there. The old woman's house was nearby. Her colony began right after the time the Tangent woman said she had a relative dump a pregnant orange cat out there.

When people dump cats, they cause suffering, great suffering, to the cats and they dump their problem on someone else, causing them financial costs, like that kind dying old woman, and eventually this behavior costs others, like me, like nonprofits attempting to halt the problems of overpopulation.

I included a photo of Hansel, huddled in a vicious wind and rainstorm of last November, over his sister, alongside highway 34, in attempts to protect her from the freezing cold. Hansel and Gretal were dumped outside SafeHaven, when they were brought in and SafeHaven could not take them because they were already full. The woman was angry, but left. Shortly afterwards, they began getting calls about kittens along the road across from them.

I never heard of it from them until later, but that Saturday night I was driving east on 34 and saw, to my horror, two older kittens walking shoulder to shoulder alongside the highway. I immediately stopped, but could not safely pull off there for long. I came back and spent the next three days trying to find them, in that freezing horrible storm. I did get both of them, plus another cat that had been roaming around SafeHaven for some time, probably also dumped there after hours. Gretal is still here. Hansel got a home and so did Buffy.

So it's too bad if my post hit a nerve with some community members, perhaps guilty parties. It's the communities loss. It's a great inexpensive way for people to get their cats and feral cats fixed in this area.

I just watched a news story about Atlanta's water problem and how one rich resident was using more water in a month than most people use in ten years, despite the extreme draught going on in Atlanta and fears the water supply will dry up completely for that large city. It's the same thing as the cat problem in some ways. You got a few people causing problems for the rest.

Neighbors were raging against this man who is in the liquor industry. It's outrageous for someone to be using so much water in a city soon to be dry. It's outrageous people don't fix their pets, too, and willingly cause so many problems for the cats, for their communities and to people trying to solve the problem.

Well anyhow. I see no reason to try to post more about the Neuterscooter's visit. Seems the craigslist community at least doesn't want to hear about the overpopulation problem and a possible solution. Their loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kittens Galore

 I went to return two of the three I took to the clinic yesterday.   The third, Drake, the tame already fixed male, the workers at the Villa...