Monday, October 01, 2007

Fungi Kittens Improve

Bathing 8 kittens, one of them a six month old teen, isn't easy. I do it every other day. After wetting each kitten down, I soap them up in anti fungal shampoo, which then must sit on them for then minutes before the rinse. To wet them down, I now hold them under the bathtub water faucet. I take them to the bathroom sink to scrub them up with shampoo. I have a heater going already, and a heating pad inside a carrier, to keep them warm while the shampoo sits on them. I have socks filled with rice I heat up, too.

After they are rinsed, I dry them off. First with a towel, then with a blow dryer. Yesterday my blow dryer gave up. It was one my tow truck friends found in an abandoned car. It had done its time. So it was a pain to get them dry after that broke. But they seemed to enjoy the extra attention and fluffing. Then I let them spend the night in the bathroom, because I can keep it warmer than the garage room. This is a very big deal to them. They get to see me more, and it's just a change for them. In the meantime, I sweet and mop the garage room floor, using a clorox mix in the mop water, change and wash the bedding they've used, wash the litterboxes and clean the carriers out. I'm trying to rid the environment of spores. It's a lot of work, I'll tell you. Most of the kitten have drastically improved, even Aces and Micah, the two who got it the worst. Aces looks bad but actually all his hair, that he had lost is growing back. Pixie, Teddy and Jiggles seem clear of active ringworm and I will transfer them to my extra bedroom, to keep them from re-infecting.

Meeko and Scottie are leaving Saturday for new homes, while I am hoping Maryann may leave tonight. This would free the main house of young cats who are most likely to catch ringworm and so I will feel easier about transferring Pixie, Jiggles and Teddy to the bedroom then.
Aces and Micah, along with Little Miss Sunshine and Mooki, were last to catch the ringworm, and so last to get over it. Micah, who got it worst of all, is showing strong signs of improvement. Most of his hair, from the bald patches is returning. Aces was neutered before he caught it.
Micah is not yet neutered. He was to be neutered, then popped out in ringworm. He is not over it enough to be neutered on Wednesday.
Pixie, who barely had any patches to begin with, now seems to have no active ringworm.
Shady still has one patch and so will not be spayed on Wednesday.
Teddy and Jiggles, his sister, who had it first, seem clear of it and will now leave the garage room for the spare bedroom, along with Pixie.

2 comments:

  1. HI
    i saw a hair dryers in your area on craigs list
    http://corvallis.craigslist.org/gms/406801966.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I was just going to stop in and get one at Goodwill. Easy.

    ReplyDelete

The Blues

 The blues have taken hold.  The weather turned to crap after two decent days.  Well only one of those days turned out warm, without the win...