Friday, June 08, 2007

The Outskirts of Corvallis

Today, I mowed the lawn, with my rusty whirlybladed muscle powered mower. I built a screen door for the bedroom, a long sweaty frustrating project, but it's done. I re-used the old wood I had "creatively". And I partially completed painting the bedroom floor, although it's not done and I'm still sleeping on the couch.

I can't figure out if doing these things is just plain stupid or not, given I don't want to remain in Albany very long. I've been here four months now. For me, that's long enough. Perhaps too long already.

Then I think, "well, nobody really likes where they live." If I were born in some desert African nation, I wouldn't like living there either, but it wouldn't make any difference. I'd have to live there. So, you know, maybe I should suck up.

I mean the town has zero character, so I could just consider it a suburb of Corvallis. I do all my shopping in Corvallis anyhow. If I want to go for a walk or hike, I drive back to Corvallis, since there's just a bunch of sidewalks and duck shit ponds here for parks.

I guess that's what I'll tell people "I live on the outskirts of Corvallis." Yeah, that's what I'll say.

Anyhow, the final Oak street male, fixed today, is recouping in my garage.

I have two of the Freeway Lakes Siamese now in my bathroom, but the one Vicki brought over this evening, for me to tame up, acts neurological, head shakes when he turns it, over reactions to sound. Somethings' haywire. I'm giving him back. And telling her he needs vet checked.

Well, I can't be in the PC room long. The paint fumes start getting to me. They're getting to me now. Signing off.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you would feel better if you thought of your current home as a 'starter house'. Figure on staying there for a couple years fixing up the house and building an little equity while you look around for something better. After all, you didn't have much time to look around last time you moved.

    We are a bit puzzled why you are so in love with Corvallis, through. From what we remember, you got run out of that town. If anyone in that place lifted a finger to help you we don't remember it making your blog.

    Ah, well. It's your life -- do with it as you will.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the parks in Corvallis, that's why. I miss having a place to walk to. I did walk a lot there, and hike up Bald Hill, which was nearby. I love that aspect of Corvallis.

    I was lonely in Corvallis. I'm lonely here. But at least there, I had parks to hike, and I could walk to them. I'm not exactly a city girl. Never have been. I don't like having to drive so far just to grocery shop either, but winco's prices beat anything around here hands down.

    As for building equity, I don't own this house. It's not mine. It's my brothers. I am renting it from him.

    And you're right that not one person in Corvallis lifted a finger to help me, when I was unjustly evicted, or in great need of help in moving. Not a one, although I had a lot of promises.

    It isn't the people of Corvallis I miss, it's the parks and the country living and even the house, the shack, because I had it fixed up so well for cats.

    Over time, years maybe, I might get this place fixed up ok for cats. Maybe I'll turn into someone who likes living in the middle of the concrete jungle.

    I have this fear, however. If my car breaks down, or somebody crashes into me, and I have no money or way to get it fixed or get another vehicle, I then get stuck here, without a chance of even escaping to a decent park now and then, without transportation.

    If that happened in Corvallis, at least I could still get to parks all over, by walking. I guess, as I grow older, that is my fear, of getting stuck here incapacitated physically or without transportation.

    ReplyDelete

Green Peter Drawdown Video

  A video made about the Green Peter reservoir drawdown.  Will it help at all?   I don't know.