Friday, March 20, 2009

Horrible Wreck in Albany

There was a terrible wreck in Albany today. Click post title to go to the paper story about the wreck.

I just missed it, too. An older couple had called. The woman said her husband always gave their four cats the distemper vaccine but he'd had a stroke and she just wasn't able to do it. They are friends with the Millersburg Chaos colony folks and also several other Millersburg people I've trapped for. I told them I'd be there at 3:00 p.m.

But Pacific was backed up with slow going a couple blocks south of Costco. I peeked around the line of cars to see a firetruck and ambulance had arrived. I quickly made a left and headed down Old Salem, although traffic seemed to be sneaking by the wreck, which appeared to have just occurred. I felt lucky then, to have avoided whatever happened. I feel even luckier now, after hearing what happened.

I guess the police were chasing a stolen jeep, stolen last night in Portland by a big time Portland area felon, with a record as long as War and Peace. And yet he was out free roaming and not locked up.

When the cops tried to stop him, he bolted in the stolen jeep and the cops gave chase. Some time in the chase he ran a light, and rammed high speed into four other cars head on, on Pacific right there near Costco. At least two people in those cars, innocent people, are in critical condition, the news says.

When I rubber necked, in the bumper to bumper traffic on Old Salem, looking right across Waverly Lake to see what was going on over there on Pacific Blvd., I saw debris even on the pedestrian path down by the little lake. It looked like crumpled metal and even a twisted up little child's bike is what it looked like from that distance. It was bad, I could tell then, real bad.

Headed out Conser to the old couple's place, a deputy, lights flashing, must have just got the call, and was headed up there, too. I gave him his due, and pulled over as he raced by so fast I knew then it was something bad that had happened.

When I got back, it was all over the news about the 22 year old car theif and the results of his latest felony, on a whole lot of innocent lives. I hope he never sees the light of day again. He needs locked up forever.

3 comments:

  1. we should all know by now, Jody, that it takes more than one criminal turn to land scomeone in jail for a lifetime - it usually takes twenty or more offenses - including a few brief jail stays - and two or three deaths - before that life sentence is handed down....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Due to the outrage over what he just did, my guess is, he's hit the limit of what society might endure from him. I don't think he'll get an easy sentence this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can never figure out why these, well, I would call them animals but we all know animals are better behaved, never kill themselves in these accidents. Drunk drivers, felons running from the law, idiots who think doing 110 on a city street is fun...none of them ever seem to die in the crashes they cause.

    ReplyDelete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...