Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Teens and Their Pregnant Mom

All three orange tabbies from the Slow Talking 88 yr old Woman Colony were boys. And their mom, the torbi tux--pregnant. Jon, the vet's brother, suggested we all go on Jerry Springer to argue over that one. There are no other cats in the area.

I have the cats lined up for the rest of the week. Wednesday it will be two Albany cats and a Lacomb cat plus the first three of twenty unfixed Lacomb cats. They'll all get done, first three Wednesday, six more Friday and the rest next week. The family saved up some money, so they could contribute $15 per cat, which is a decent copay, with that many needing fixed.

I might have a home lined up for Rags. Nice family. Very much cat lovers. The vet told me they were looking just as they left, so we went back out and talked to them.

He came by yesterday, before his night shift in Albany, as we had planned, to see Rags, but I had passed out asleep on the couch and never even heard the phone. I woke up an hour ago, at 2:00 a.m., having slept since 7:00 p.m. on the couch, and called him on his cell, knowing he was at work and up. So he's coming in the morning before heading home to Jefferson, after his shift ends. They're a nice family and I hope they adopt him. Rags does have a severe cold right now. I told him about the cold. He shrugged that off, said they adopted a cat from SafeHaven once covered in ringworm. "He got over it," the guy said, like it was nothing. I like this family.

UPDATE: It was a no go for Rags getting a home. He behaved like a feral kitten, when the guy came in today. And strangely, so did the super friendly Miato. I think they're scared of men, is the thing.

Doc loved the guy and couldn't leave his boots alone. Doc used to be a true feral kitten. Miato and Rags were never feral. Go figure!

I need to find volunteers to handle and play with the cats here. They get used to me and I think they're just totally social and Miato and Rags are, but then some outsider comes in, and they are scared to death. Our little insulated isolated world here, in this house, is not beneficial to adopting out cats. They need exposure to more people. How to do this? I currently do not have a single volunteer.

I had one fosterer once and that didn't go well for her. It was against her lease to have more than two cats, which she already had. But she lived alone and worked during the day so it was hard for her, too, to socialize them. She tried to pull in people from her circle of friends, but not many were interested really, in playing with kittens. She decided not to foster after she worked with those three.

Then later on, a woman volunteered to foster the bottle babes found behind Salbastgeon Suites in Corvallis, when barely born. One of the four died that first night. They were crawling in fleas and cold. The other three I bottle fed--Sunshine, Flower and Beanie. Flower and Beanie retain their names but now Sunshine's name is Oliver. The fosterer kept all three. She couldn't part with them. I don't blame her. There went my second fosterer! I've not been successful finding anyone else.

1 comment:

  1. it sounds likeyou could esp.use a male volunteer - you don't know any guys who might have a few hours each week? I know your brother is very busy - what about your nephew? any possibilty there? I guess with the economy today most folks want to get paid for doing something. Or they want a recognizable volunteer job to add to their resumes - like with the aspca or something like that.

    ReplyDelete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...