Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Project

Brown tabby teen, still don't know its sex, fixed today, from Waverly Waifs colony.

Below are photos of the Privacy Room Project:



I listed some projects awhile back that I felt would increase livability here, for me, living with all these cats.

One of them, was to cover the particle board floor with vinyl squares. Diane of Corvallis got me started on this by donating a whole bunch of boxes she had left over. That did a lot of the floor.

Over weeks, I bought more, when I found that exact pattern on sale. The floor is now totally covered in vinyl squares. No more paint on the mop after cleaning the floor. I had painted over the particle board with floor and deck paint, but it never really sealed and the floor in many spots was turning to sawdust. The paint would come off on the mop when I mopped too, and had been impossible to keep clean.

Now cleaning is a breeze. The downside, the only one, has been ---it's slippery and I have to keep that in mind!

Another project I wanted to accomplish was to somehow create a tiny space away from the cats for the computer. They've destroyed this computer, using it to sleep on, jump onto, and play with. They knocked over the PC speakers, eventually destroying them completely, chewed up cables. It's been tough!

I began accumulating the boards I thought I'd need. Some of these came by disassembling other shelves I'd made and even a very large home made cat tree. I painted all of the boards with leftover paint, but how to make the little privacy room. Then my nephew visited. He told me to frame it. Him being an accomplished carpenter because he grew up with my brother, a contractor, as his father, he quickly sketched a plan. I expanded on that and discovered how much easier things are to make if you plan them out first.

I built the frame in the garage. I had no room to do it in the bedroom. This created hardship on my bad neck, shoulder, back, knee, when trying to get the frames inside today, but I hope to recover quickly. It is almost complete. I need to find some wood for the top and build a door. Tis a beautiful thing and most of the wood is recycled from other projects.

Today, I had reservations for four cats and had four cats lined up. One is a feral teen from the Albany complex, trapped by the man intent on keeping the population under control there. Then I had three cats from Lebanon lined up. But the vet's office called me late yesterday to ask that I only bring in the feral because they had some last minute emergencies book for today.

So I cancelled the three Lebanon cats and took up only the feral this a.m. to be fixed. Thankfully, the man who trapped that teen will pick the cat up this evening.

I also took up six cats needing updated on rabies vaccines. I took up Comet, Cattyhop, Poppy, Kimo, Button and Buffy. I couldn't find Tweetie in the dash to get them contained. I had also wanted to take Spirit and Stinod, but got going on trying to get them all into carriers, too late. I settled for the six.

After I got back home with the six, I updated all of them on whatever else they needed, from distemper vaccines, to worming. I have to keep up or I get way too far behind. I like doing no more than six or 8 twice a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...